days at cochin and langkawi

amazonlady

Not much to do in Langkawi except find a great beach. I can recommend Tanjung Rhu where the sand is sooo white. Perhaps get a taxi who will give you a tour of the island enroute.

Cochin - pretty good just to wander around. There are quite a few shopping stalls near the Chinese fishing nets. Also a church - sorry, can't recall the name. Then a tuk-tuk to the Jewish area (or walk) it's not that far. You can also go and watch one of the dancing shows, get there early and you are able to see them putting all their make-up on.

Not much to do in Langkawi except find a great beach. I can recommend Tanjung Rhu where the sand is sooo white. Perhaps get a taxi who will give you a tour of the island enroute.

Cochin - pretty good just to wander around. There are quite a few shopping stalls near the Chinese fishing nets. Also a church - sorry, can't recall the name. Then a tuk-tuk to the Jewish area (or walk) it's not that far. You can also go and watch one of the dancing shows, get there early and you are able to see them putting all their make-up on.

thanks for this. how far is tanjubg Rhu from where the ship docks? has anyone done a kerala backwater tour at cochin? have heard this is good but were wondering if it has to be done on the ships tours, i object to paying ship tour prices really!!!:cool:

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Best I can remember, Tanjung Rhu is less than 30 mins way - Langkawi isn't a very big island.

I'm not sure if you'd have time to do the backwaters in Cochin. I think it would depend on the time you sail.

Thank you for that. i suppose there will be plenty of taxis waiting at the port? would love to do a backwater tour at cochin, are these available at the port or do we have to dock in advance. i have tried emailing a tour operator but no reply. :confused:

In December 2005, we made a cruise stop in Cochin and took a delightful ship's sponsored tour that included the backwaters.

We will be visiting Cochin again this December on a cruise stop that is from 8 am to 5 pm. Wanting to do a private tour this year that concentrated on the "backwaters", and just for the day, was very challenging. I finally found a site and have been in contact with them. They have customized a houseboat tour that includes pickup from the ship, lunch on the houseboat and transportation back to the ship. Of course, the pricing becomes more attractive when there are a number in your group. We have not yet confirmed our plans but are willing to share the details with any who may want them. E-mail us at d.g.cooper@rogers.com and I will forward the information.

Grace

• 3 weeks later...

I think there is quite a bit to do in Langkawi.

I would definitely go to the Oriental Village and the cable car - it is one of the best we have been on and if it is a clear day the view is amazing. It is a fair way from the port so you could probably negotiate for a taxi for the day. Then get them to take you back to Panai Cenang and see the Rice Museum (Laman Padi) and then walk along the beach.

We hired a car for 6 hrs for a ridiculously cheap price on Panai Cenang outside the AB Motel. It cost us about AU$12 (about US$8 - told you it was cheap) and we drove to the cable car. There is basically just one road to get there so it is easy.

If you are the adventurous type you could do the Canopy Adventure with Juergen and Stefan. It is not for the faint hearted though. If you are fit and like a challenge and adrenalin rush it is fantastic. They will pick up from the cruise port.

Another wonderful day is a trip with Dev's Adventure Tours - we did kayaking but you can go on a motor boat. That is an awesome day.

Try Trip Advisor for some other ideas.

We did a wonderful tour to the Backwaters and it was the highlight of our Singapore to Athens cruise. George, (director@keralavoyages.com) was excellent. In the end there were six of us from the ship and it cost us $80 per person.It also included a quick tour around the main attractions of Cochin itself.

Highly recommendable!

Jenni

Archived