Punta Sur snorkeling from shore

mdxter

Hi,

We will be visiting cozumel on a saturday august 15 via CCL Fascination. We are planning to rent a jeep and tour the island. One of our stops will be Punta Sur @ the very southern tip on the east side of the island. there is also a lighthouse there. Can anyone tell me if i can snorkel right from shore? Any suggestions on things not to miss on the east side of the island? Thanks for your input.

We went to Punta Sur February 2008 and LOVED it. It is a quite place with beautiful surroundings. If visitors are looking for beach/ocean toys and a well stocked bar, this is not the place.

It is an ecological park run by the government. There are so many wonderful things to see and do:

1. The ride to Punta Sur is beautiful.

2. There are small Mayan ruins along the drive in the park.

3. There is a lighthouse that you can climb and a museum in the first part of the park.

4. You pay a bit more to take a truck ride to the snorkeling beach - which includes a boat tour of the fresh water lagoon to spot crocs.

5. The beach is beautiful with chairs, hammocks, a snack bar (small and very informal), and restrooms.

6. You can rent snorkeling equipment or bring your own.

(You can snorkel from the beach. There are two beach sections. One you cannot swim in and the other which you need to take a short truck ride to - provided by the park. You can bring your own equipment or rent it there.)

This beach is known for the sea turtles.

If I remember correctly, I think the fee for the park (ecological park) is $5 pp which covers up to the lighthouse and museum. $10pp for the lighthouse, museum, truck ride to the snorkeling beach, chairs, hammocks, boat tour of lagoon etc.

We did not go snorkeling, but the people we met there (there are very few people there) they were there for the snorkeling and they loved it. They do say that you can see sea turtles by the tall sea grass at the far end of the beach.

Have a great time.

I would highly recommend you get the map of Cozumel from http://www.cancunmap.com/ before you go. This will help plan your day.

Archived