cell phone fees

DustFSU

When you get on the ship, but still in home US port you are still using local rates and not the international rates correct? Those fees don't start applying till you are to far from local towers?

Yep... by law the cellular communication system on the ship has to be disabled while the ship is in range of normal cellular communications.

HOWEVER... folks have been charged the $2.49/min fee from Cellular at Sea when the system has remained functional in port.

Check the display on your phone and make sure that you're registered with your normal provider. If the displays says 'Cellular At Sea' or 'Roaming' don't use your phone...

:)

Yes, that is the way it should work. There was a posting about 5 months ago and a news story about a guy who used computer and cellular internet to watch a ballgame in port before they sailed. When he got the $26,000.00 cell phone bill, he know something went wrong. They said he was using a international service and thus the bill. He did get it straightened around, but it took him awhile to get it fixed. So just beware that things can go wrong. I always say the best thing to do is call your cellular company and check directly with them.

I turned my phone back in when we arrived back to the Port of Long Beach from Mexico. The Cellular at Sea had not been turned off. Much to my surprise I received over $200 in roaming charges. I called AT&T, told them what had happened and they promptly credited my account. This cruise, I am going to wait till I am off the ship before turning my Blackberry back on.

Pretty much the safest bet is too look at your phone prior to using it, I sailed out of NYC twice and I was able to use the phone for the entire time in port and then even after we sailed quite a bit, then it did change to cellular at sea...Check with your carrier to see if the islands that you are stopping at are included in your coverage plan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas(I think all of the US Virgin Islands) are covered by ATT. Just remember to always check before making a call... and shut your phone off at all times... Last time I called ATT, the person told me that if I get a voice mail at sea, its like me making a call somehow, he explained it and basically he said it would cost me a few dollars to get each voicemail... I figured just leave it off...

Archived