Question on Key West

ohio

I'll be traveling with three teens (ages 14 to 18) and four adults (ages 30 to 36). The teens are wanting to head to a beach and the adults were thinking Margaritaville (or some place kid and adult friendly) I've been to the Margaritaville in Cozumel and there was a beach for the kids to keep them occupied. Any suggestions in Key West?

Thanks ! !

Beaches in Key West really aren't much to talk about.. Two times that I visited there, I was told that all the 'beaches' were shut down.. apparently there are a lot of sewage and health problems which occur there. :(

Probably be best to take the kids along through the town.. Lots to see..

Tour on the Conch Train.. t-shirt shops, art type places.. Aquarium..

Maybe a snorkeling tour, or trip on the glass-bottomed boat..

Again, 'beaches' are iffy at best..! :eek:

I used to go to Key West quite a bit when I lived in Ft Luaderdale. I agree there is (oddly enough) not much of a beach in Key West. At least not near Old town, which is where the cruise ships go into. The opposite side has some beaches, but are very rocky from what I'm told. There is lots of stuff to check out in old town area though all a pretty easy walk, or scooter ride. The conch train is a good idea too, it will show you all the highlights and allow you to get your bearings.

Have fun. :)

Yep, no beaches to speak of, but lots of history in Key West. Beautiful old homes, interesting neighborhoods, restaurants, Hemingway's house with the six toed cats that are decendents from when Hemingway lived there, a lighthouse that is VERY interesting.. the kids can stand inside the huge beveled glass light that magnified the lantern into a huge becon for ships. Also, Harry Truman's Little White House is an interesting stop, if the kids are prepared before they go and know what they are looking at. The Conch train is a neat way to see everything; be sure to stop at the civil war era fort and museum on the far side of the island. Of course, don't miss the Southernmost Point in the US.. take a picture! You are only 90 miles from Cuba! Key West is a small town, but tons of things to do. You will have a great time.. dont' worry about no beaches! (If you are into treasure hunting, don't miss Fisher's Museum where he displays all kinds of treasure he recovered from wrecks of galleons in the Gulf of Mexico and other areas around Key West)

Archived