Limassol Wine Tours

Berwin

Has anyone done a wine tour in Limassol? If so, how did you arrange it.

Hi Berwin,

I live in Cyprus and periodically (whenever the wine stores run low!) visit a number of the local wineries.

I would have thought that a cab driver at the port would be more than happy to negotiate a day/half day rate with you if you knew which areas you wanted to visit.

Many of the wineries welcome visitors and offer complimentary tastings. With some advance planning you should be able to firm up a route beforehand with the places you wanted to visit.

For research purposes the following might be of use;

http://www.wine-pages.com/features/cyprus-wine.htm

http://www.wine-pages.com/features/cyprus-wine-2.htm

Of the wineries listed Kolios is fantastic in terms of its positioning and welcome, but may be too far to do in a day. The winery doesn't have a food licence so doesn't have a restaurant but you are welcome to eat with the family (which doesn't require them to be licenced) and sample the wines. This all takes place in the a purpose built room, seating over a hundred, attached to the winery. To keep themselves within the licencing laws an elderly family member is usually found sitting quietly in one corner. From memory the cost is about €20 for the wine tasting and meze food. Last time we were there lunch lasted over two hours and between four of us we must have polished off the equivalent of three or four bottles in 'tastings'!

Closer to the ship would be Tsiakkas, towards the centre of the island and part way up Troodos. Traffic permitted that should be less than an hour door to door. Costas the owner loves talking about his wines. If you go there then mention that you've heard talk of his 10 year old family recipe Zivania. It is unlike any other on the island and he may just produce a bottle for you to try :-)

Others to consider would be the wineries of Vasa and Vlasides, both referenced in the links about. I've not visited either, a friend collects for us from there as we collect for him from Tsiakkas, but they produce interesting wines and Vasa in particular is reported as being particularly pretty. Both are situated in locations that would work well for a trip starting and finishing in Limassol.

Whilst less convenient in terms of location and lacking the visual wow factor but producing lovely wines are Kyperounda and Aes Ambelis.

I hope that helps some, if you need any additional information I'd be happy to try and help.

Mands

Thanks for the very thorough reply. I will start the research. Are there any tour guides or taxi's that you would recommend? We will have a complete day available to us. Ship arrives at 8am and departs at 6PM.

Archived