Best snorkling- Grand Turks or St. Johns?

minnow12

We are a family of 8 who has never snorkled before. We'll be going on the Carr. Princess at the end of july. Our kids ages are from 10-18. We could probably only afford one excursion (we'll site see on our own the rest of the time) and we'd like to try snorkling. Any recommendations? Which is better, Grand Turks or St. Johns? Should we go through the ship or do it on our own? I'm a little nervous about going it alone. Any help would be great.

It would probably be a good idea to pick an excursion that lands on a beach so you can learn to snorkel walking into the water rather than having to climb down a ladder right into the water. We were just at Grand Turk at Christmas and I remember we took a tour on a catamarran that landed on an island,we got to pet stingrays just off the beach and then one of the fellows from the opened up a conch for everyone to see what was inside. Snorkelling then took place from the beach. St.John's island off of St. Thomas is a great spot too but we didn't land, we were going in the water off the boat. They may have something that includes beach time and snorkelling. Good idea to check before you book.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help you any further

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Grand Turk on the Crown Princess this spring. Lovely beach right where the ships dock. We had two ships in so the beach was crowded, as was Margaritaville. We didn't think the snorkeling was that great right there. (Others spoke highly of it at some of the other places on the island)

St. John is our very favorite place! There are several good snorkeling beaches. Hawksnest has snorkeling in pretty shallow water right near the beach. Lots of fish. Trunk Bay also has good snorkeling in somewhat deeper (~10-15 ft?) water. It's generally crystal clear except when the swells are from the north during the winter. You can rent gear including snorkel vests. This is pretty easy to do on your own, or for a bit more use the ship's excursion. Let me know if querstions.

SteveO.

• 2 weeks later...
Visited Grand Turk on the Crown Princess this spring. Lovely beach right where the ships dock. We had two ships in so the beach was crowded, as was Margaritaville. We didn't think the snorkeling was that great right there. (Others spoke highly of it at some of the other places on the island)

St. John is our very favorite place! There are several good snorkeling beaches. Hawksnest has snorkeling in pretty shallow water right near the beach. Lots of fish. Trunk Bay also has good snorkeling in somewhat deeper (~10-15 ft?) water. It's generally crystal clear except when the swells are from the north during the winter. You can rent gear including snorkel vests. This is pretty easy to do on your own, or for a bit more use the ship's excursion. Let me know if querstions.

SteveO.

What time of year is their winter? I don't want to encounter any swells that keep the water from being clear :P thanks!

Archived