Comments/Opinions of Anastasia Tours

Hi, we are just off the Constellation and 4 of us toured with Annastassia in SPB. Our tour guide Olga and driver Alexander were great. We met Annastassia on our second day when we stopped outside the port and she collected our fee. We got into everything very quickly as with only 4 Olga knew where to go and how to get us through the crowds. Alexander was always prompt with the car. Olga took us to Russian fast food "Pancakes" the first day for lunch and we took her to McDonald's the second day. We didn't want to use up time with sit down long lunches.

We had a great time!

HMMM. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. We don't go to foreign countries to eat at McDonalds.

One of the most interesting experiences we had in Russia was the Stolle Pie Shop (there are several around St. Petersburg) where we ate Russian style fast food with the locals. We had pies (actually more or less turnovers) of meat, fish, vegetables, berries, lemon ... all sorts. It was a lot more fun, to us, than McDonalds would have been!

But absolutely the most fabulous experience was the next day when DenRus arranged for Lunch With A Russian Family. Starting with homemade borscht and through a wonderful meal it was a delight, and well worth the time we spent.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html

Everybody has to arrange their own priorities.

We are traveling with 5 kids and, while I agree that there can definitely be "too many palaces," my impression is that the Amber Room of Catherine's Palace is "not to be missed." Some consider it "the 8th wonder of the world..." I think it will be visually stunning and something the kids will remember. We will likely be spending most of our time at Peterhoff outdoors in the gardens/fountains, so the two palaces will be very different experiences.

I personally think that Catherine's Palace is a "must see." I remember seeing it for the first time and being blown away. Beautiful pastel blue out of a story book. Our adult daughter is coming along in May with us and that is really the first thing I want her to see.

Are you going one way to Peterhof by hydrofoil? That can save some significant time. It also gives you a view from the water (and it's fun too). With the time you save I would add in Church of the Spilled Blood. The canal cruise is nice but when we took it we had to walk down a rather steep enbankment. Please be sure to ask to have the boat meet you somewhere your husband can easily transfer. We also really enjoyed a quick stop at a Russian supermarket. We brought home lots of fun candy and treats for my daughter to share with her friends. Oh yeah, there's also the vodka. I don't drink but have been told it's the best in the world. ;)

I would bet that an itinerary designed for minimal walking will be very appealing on your roll call. I doubt you'll have any trouble filling extra seats.

One last point - are you sure you want to start at 8 on day 1? Last summer many, many people had difficulty disembarking in St Petersburg. Not sure who you are sailing with but some lines, especially Princess, delayed passengers on private tours by 3 hours or more until all passengers on ship's tours were ashore. On MSC we had to lie and cheat to get off the boat because they continued to insist that morning that only passengers with private visas could enter the country if not booked on a ship's tour. Many of these problems seemed to be address by the end of the summer but since you have a shorter day planned anyway you may have an easier time with a 9:00 am start instead, just in case. Enjoy your trip.

I am also hoping to find fellow passengers to share tour costs with. We are doing 8AM-3:30 day 1; then pick up for folk show at 5:40; return again to ship 9:00PM. Day 2 9-3 (we are on HAL & must be back by 3PM.

Day 1: Drive to Pushkin & Catherine's Palace; return to city by Metro, Hermitage. Day 2 City tour, Peter & Paul Fortess, St. Isaac's, lunch, canal cruise, then back to ship.

Due to need to be back on ship by 3PM on day 2, I do not see how we can add in Peterhof gardens. Also we are there on Sunday & Monday. Hermitage is closed on Monday so we must do that day 1.

After reading other comments, we are open to substituting Peter & Paul Fortess with alternative. Comments or suggestions on itinerary?

I am also hoping to find fellow passengers to share tour costs with. We are doing 8AM-3:30 day 1; then pick up for folk show at 5:40; return again to ship 9:00PM. Day 2 9-3 (we are on HAL & must be back by 3PM.

Day 1: Drive to Pushkin & Catherine's Palace; return to city by Metro, Hermitage. Day 2 City tour, Peter & Paul Fortess, St. Isaac's, lunch, canal cruise, then back to ship.

Due to need to be back on ship by 3PM on day 2, I do not see how we can add in Peterhof gardens. Also we are there on Sunday & Monday. Hermitage is closed on Monday so we must do that day 1.

After reading other comments, we are open to substituting Peter & Paul Fortess with alternative. Comments or suggestions on itinerary?

Hmmmm... If I recall correctly you have posted that you use a wheelchair - correct? The Amber Room is upstairs at Catherine's Palace. Your guide would know better what is accessible for you but you have to be sure that you can get up stairs or I don't know the trip to Pushkin would be worth the time. Given your limitation in time I would ask about doing the following (assuming all is doable in a wheelchair)

Day 1:Hermitage then hydrofoil to Peterhof. See the gardens and maybe the smaller palace if accessible for you. Metro ride and visit Spilled Blood Church. I would not take time to sit down for lunch if you are trying to take a break back at the ship before the folk show.

Day 2: City tour and Pushkin/Catherine's Palace.

You would replace Peter and Paul Fortress with Peterhof and Spilled Blood Church would replace St Isaac's. These are the choices we made - others may give you different input. The canal cruise is nice but I personally think less important than the grounds at Peterhof, especially if you can get there by hydrofoil. It would be great to add it if you can fit it. If I recall it takes about an hour - maybe you can do it with a boxed lunch one of the days? Do you need to take the break before the evening folk show? If not you will be exhausted but can certainly see more on day 1.

Hope this helps...

DH and I did not care much for the canal cruise. Just our opinion and would not do it again. It was raining so we had to be inside the cabin on the boat and all we could breath were diesel fumes. The tour for us was less than impressive.

Hmmmm... If I recall correctly you have posted that you use a wheelchair - correct? The Amber Room is upstairs at Catherine's Palace. Your guide would know better what is accessible for you but you have to be sure that you can get up stairs or I don't know the trip to Pushkin would be worth the time. Given your limitation in time I would ask about doing the following (assuming all is doable in a wheelchair)

Day 1:Hermitage then hydrofoil to Peterhof. See the gardens and maybe the smaller palace if accessible for you. Metro ride and visit Spilled Blood Church. I would not take time to sit down for lunch if you are trying to take a break back at the ship before the folk show.

Day 2: City tour and Pushkin/Catherine's Palace.

You would replace Peter and Paul Fortress with Peterhof and Spilled Blood Church would replace St Isaac's. These are the choices we made - others may give you different input. The canal cruise is nice but I personally think less important than the grounds at Peterhof, especially if you can get there by hydrofoil. It would be great to add it if you can fit it. If I recall it takes about an hour - maybe you can do it with a boxed lunch one of the days? Do you need to take the break before the evening folk show? If not you will be exhausted but can certainly see more on day 1.

Hope this helps...

It is not me that uses a wheelchair, but my mother's friend, Molly She can walk some just not long distances so we were going to get her a wheelchair for the Hermitage. We realize that she could not see inside Catherine's Palace, but she was interested in riding outdise of the city and happy to wait for us to complete the tour at a cafe. Both she & my Mom and in their 80s, and I really think it will be too much for them to go all day then take it the folk show. Molly will not be going to folk show either due to stairs but she does not want us to miss it. So we will need to get her back to the ship anyhow. I like your idea of saving time by skipping a sit down lunch and having a box lunch instead.

With your feedback and Tally10s comments on canal ride, I will check into hydrofoil and Peterhof. As to St. Isaac's - my mistake! I missed that we had already decided to see St. Isaac's instead of Spilled Blood Church!

Thanks so much for your feedback - particularly regarding Peterhof.

MercedMike and Reneea - loved your review of your trip to the Baltics. I haven't click on this link in a while, but love seeing what you enjoy about your trip. I noticed one of you is a teacher so I understand the pictures and all the interesting information in your blurb. As a retired teacher I do understand how we can get informational in so many situations, but it certainly helps us who need it. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Archived