Downhill questions

basilh

We are sailing to Hawaii on the Radiance in Sept 05 and would like to do a downhill - we are in Maui for 2 days 7-6pm on both days. We would like to do the Maui downhill - does anyone know...

1) can you do the sunrise tour on the 2nd day? Do the tenders run that early in the morning - 3:30 a.m?

2) will Maui downhill pick up at the cruiseship area?

3) is there a weight limit for the bikes? another company says that they have a limit but Maui doesn't say anything on their site

And finally - which company would people recommend?

Thanks!:D

I wish I could answer your questions, but we were only in Maui one day so the sunrise was not an option. We booked with Maui Downhill through the ship an dthey picked us up at the cruise ship pier, but that obviously doesn't apply if you are booking it independently. It was an awesome experience. They were a great company who did a great job and the trip was tremendous. You will love it. I wish that we had been there overnight so we could try a sunrise trip.

basilh: We did this trip on our 9/26/04 Hawaii cruise. My response to a simular question is located on this tread.

As for specifics to your questions:

1. The only way you can do the sunrise tour is the 2nd day. Yes the tenders do run all night, however on a reduced frequency. If they are picking you up at 3:00 AM (as they did us), you will have to catch the 2:00 AM tender (could run a different schedule, but you get the idea). Ask the tender crew once you arrive in Maui and they will advise accordingly.
  2. Maui Downhill does pick up at the "cruiseship area" (this is the company we used).
  3. I believe they do have a weight limit (safety reasons), but call them direct. Found them to be very helpful and easy to deal with! If this is a problem for you, call and discuss with them as they may be able to work this out (you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask). ;)
  4. As stated above, we used Maui Downhill. Very professional, safety is a top priority and would use them again. Found them slightly more expensive, BUT safety IS different (from what we saw) with some of the other companies!

Hope this helps!

Bruce

• 1 month later...

We did this tour with maui downhill from a condo in Kihei, they picked us up at like 4am and we were up there by 5:00am or so. Had hot chocolate, donuts, After sunrise was finished, we got ready along with about 10 other groups to go. They are spread out to insure safety, and give cars a break. It is unbelievably cold up there before the sun comes out, so dress accordingly. Layer, layer. By the time you finish, you will have taken off the rainsuit they provide and probably some of your layers. Ended up with breakfast at resturant at bottom. Great, easy tour with neat views, and almost no work. I doubt whether is has changed much. You will have fun in the world of cruiser chick and cruiser dude.

Rode down just last week! We booked with Mountain Riders. They picked us up at the pier around 3:00 A.M. for the sunrise tour. Request Uncle Russ if you decide on Mountain Riders...he's an absolute hoot! He will have you "ring a ding dinging" down the volcano! He used to ride skateboards (back in the 70's), down the 38 mile road so he knows the road. They were also the cheapest ($85.00) guided tour on the island.

Archived