The voyage from hell!!!

garigoun

You know, I am going to preface my remarks by saying I would imagine no one in the entire world loves the QM2 more than I do--everything about her--including her passengers. I sailed on her a little over a year ago and was totally blown away by her pure elegance and civility, including the proper dress and the manners that seemed the norm.

That said, I will say first of all, I very much doubt that there are many truly wealthy people who travel on Cunard (they tend to own their own yachts).--and even if they did, that wouldn't make their manners and dress any more impeccable than any of the rest of us. Many aboard the Cunard ships enjoy giving the impression that they are better off than they are financially, I think, and that is fine, if that is their thing. I really believe that most Cunard passengers are of the working middle class with many of them now retired. Most are older, and are a product of a much more refined, and civil era where rules of etiquette dictated behavior for every occasion. But look around you--everywhere-- the times they are a changin', folks. Manners, proper dress, and civility have given way to a new casualness. Like it or not, unless there is something that brings about a total reverse of trends, the day of the hand-tied silk bow-tie and proper dress for every occasion is slowly but surely going the way of the dinosaur. And please don't blame it on the lower class cruise ships and their crass passengers who don't know any better. This new casualness is fast becoming the rule rather than the exception everywhere. And like it or not, it is only a matter of time when Cunard will be lowering its standards too, if that is what you want to call it, because the day of the casual, less dignified, "free to be me" passenger will dictate it. And there is little any of us can do about it.

I didn't say I like it any more than you do,, but that is how I see it.:)

Gene, I enjoy other lines too but I found it a bit amusing that the two most outspoken about the supposed "dumbing down" of etiquette and dress codes were primarily RCL and Princess regulars. In the past 11 months I've sailed twice on Cunard and have not observed any "dumbing down". Perhaps I'm more interested in just enjoying my time than in passing judgment on others. ;)

I agree with the two of you PM let's concern ourselves with what we an change not what we wish were different.

Life's too short to listen to the complainers, what other people choose to do is not my problem.

"I have my principals, and if you don't like these I have others!" - Groucho Marx

Stupid question as I haven't done my home work and in Texas class distinction hasn't been that much of an issue, but what is the difference between passenger classes on Cunard especially the "Grills"? Do any other lines have this separation?

Also in mingling with Europeans at Mgt. schools and a brief three weeks in Northern Europe, it stikes me you have limited selection with much higher pricing in most retail goods. Flame away, water and duck's backs come to mind, but I am interested in your perspective.

Archived