Review of cooking class with Martin Valdez

kathy7558

We had prearranged a cooking class in Cozumel with Martin Valdez. We called his home, as arranged, when we got off the ship. He said he'd pick us up around 9:30, so we window shopped around the pier stores and then crossed the street to wait for our ride. Martin arrived right on time and wisked us away to a local market. There we talked about the ingredients for our main dish - Sopa de Lima - and bought the necessary items. On leaving the market we were talking about the differences between authenic Mexican tacos and what we normally get in the States, so Martin drove us around to a literal "hole-in-the-wall" taco stand run by a friend of his. There he treated us to real tacos - simply chopped up pork that had been roasted over a charcoal fire served on a soft flour totilla shell with the choice of guacamole or hot sauce. After eating that, we asked about corn torillas, so he drove us around to another local stand to buy corn tortilla dough.

Back at Martin's beautiful home, he first made us each a corn tortilla and served it to us warm with cheese. Heavenly!!

Next we chopped up fresh tomatoes, onions, and cilantro to make a salsa. Martin then cut off the tiniest tip of a habenero and diced it up quite finely to add heat to the salsa. We ate some of this with chips, then when I said it wasn't very hot, he added more habenero! Woah! It was now HOT! But, very good - I think I polished off all the salsa while we were making the Sopa de Lima.

Everything was made with fresh ingredients and was not only delicious, but colorful. We enjoyed our soup - served over crushed taco chips and with a slice of lime to squeeze just before eating - at the family dining table. What wonderful hospitality to invite us into their home like that!

I would encourage anyone who could to take this class with Martin - unfortunately time is running out. He has his house on the market (BTW, what looks like a bargain to me at only $150,000) because he wants to return to the States so his twin boys can get a better education. They are 13 now and starting secondary education. If you are going to be in Cozumel in January or February, e-mail Martin and Susan, his lovely wife, at islacoz@hotmail.com to book a cooking class - you won't regret it!

The listed price for the hand-on class is $40 pp. He charged us $60 total for the two of us, perhaps b/c all I did was write down recipies and taste everything as we went! :D We gave him a $10 tip b/c he picked us up and dropped us off back downtown.

If you e-mail Susan at the address above, she'll send you the details including the menu you can choose from. If you just want to watch Martin cook and then eat, I think the brochure said $20 pp.

Haven't been to this website for several months and was glad to see that folks are enjoying Martin Valdez' cooking classes. We had the pleasure of having Martin cook for us in our home here on Cozumel a few months ago, and his food is outstanding. In addition, he's a great guy.

When I saw the note about his home being on the market, I called him. It apparently is true that he will eventually spend most of his time in the states, but will be in Cozumel full-time until at least July.

Sounds like anybody interested in a class will have the opportunity to take one for many months to come, rather than just January and February as previously posted.

Since Martin is not a computer guy and doesn't read these boards, I told him I would pass the word along.

As a local, I love the idea that passengers who visit the island for one day are having these unique experiences with the "real" folk who live here.

Happy New Year everyone!

Perhaps I misunderstood him about the time frame. He told us he expected to sell his house by February, so I thought that meant that was when they'd leave for the States. I'm glad he's staying through July - we'll be back there in May, so I might see him again! :)

Archived