Anyone been to both Dominica and Roatan?

momsbusy

I would recommend an excursion for both. In Dominica we did an all island tour which was fun and in Honduras we did a zipline/beach excursion. The beach was amazing and we even bought a painting right off of the beach which is my favorite souvineer so far.

Neither place has much to offer a tourist. Roads on both islands are chock full of potholes. (One thing to consider in Dominica is an excursion ride up the mountain to the canopy jungle.....but be aware that the road around the mountain to get there is ONE lane of potholes and there are no side rails...if someone comes down the other side, one of the vehicle has to pull completely to the side, so other vehicle can squeeze through...spoke to people who did that and were TERRIFIED).

Extreme poverty in both areas......we found that to be both depressing to look at.....as well as scary . If you wander away from the docks, beggars and suspicious hustlers will kinda surround you in a flash.....we did about- face real quick. Oh....saw no police where we were either !

Next time we'll just buy t-shirts in the flea markets right next to the ship to prove we'd been there.

I disagree with you Heirloom. They are 2 totally, different and beautiful islands.

Roatan has some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. We took a tour through Victor Bodden and saw the islands beautiful highlights including Tabyana Beach, Ziplining and even Victor's house. All VERY fun.

Dominica is not known for its beaches. We just got back from there in May and did a Levi Bumpiing Tour. It was the highlight of our cruise. The Titu Gorge, Trafagler Falls, Sulper Springs, Champagne Reef are just beautiful.

Please read the Roatan and Dominica boards - that is how I book all my tours and learn so much before we even leave.

I've been to Dominica and did the "river tubing" excursion that Carnival offers we really liked it and had a great time! If we ever go back there I'm doing it again!

To Roatan I'm going in weeks...

They are both absolutely wonderful ports, but hands down I would go back to Dominica to stay for a vacation. It was more rugged with simply stunning views everywhere you look. Roatan was beautiful, and somewhat more developed. I found it a little more similar to St. Lucia as far as the combination of lush jungle and homes and villages.

Roatan is different from all the other stops on a Western Itinerary, which makes it a really nice change of pace.

Go for an excursion on each, definitely!

We went independent, hiking on Dominica and did a Monkeys and Parrots tour in Roatan, which I thought sounded really lame, and turned out to be one of the more cool things I've ever done!

Archived