Did Dawn get a new engine?

livsea2

Does anyone know for sure if the Dawn Princess has been outfitted with a new engine? I read comments that it is still slow etc. But I haven't been able to determine if it got a new engine when it was in dry dock or not!

Anyone know? Thanks

The Dawn certainly did get some major engine work done. I was on the23Nov04 sailing ,the cruise immediately following drydock. I watched as they unloaded pistons as big a 45 gallon drums from the ship. They were blackened the way one might expect from use. We too had ports of call cancelled but there was no evidence that she was not performing at full speed. In fact one day the captain stated her speed was 21 point something knotts which I believe is almost maximum speed. The captain would have no reason to lie.

For what it's worth my wife and I had a great cruise. Sure there was a few people complaining but you cannot please everyone.

This was our forth cruise and first with Princess. We were fortunate enough to see dolphins playing in the wake of the ship one day and leaving Dominica we saw whales off in the distance. Already planning our next cruise. Maybe on the Dawn from San Francisco to Mexico in the fall.:) :)

"As for the port times being shortened I don't think it has anything to do with the engines."

I wonder what the reason is, then ? We were supposed to be in Curacao at 8:00, and now will arrive at 12:00 . Either they measured wrong when the did the milage estimates ))), or the ship won't travel fast enough to get there on time. Wondering why....

We were told that the engine was replaced...but they are having to work it in. We were on the Dec. 3rd sailing and we started the tour by only going a paltry 10 knots. By the end of the cruise we were up to 18.4 knots. Regular cruising speed is about 22 knots...so it is not through its break in period yet.

Hope that helps.

Saltycaptn

Does anyone know for sure if the Dawn Princess has been outfitted with a new engine? I read comments that it is still slow etc. But I haven't been able to determine if it got a new engine when it was in dry dock or not!

Anyone know? Thanks

Archived