I love NCL and I tried HaL

gagirl789

I do really like NCL. We decided that we would try HAL to see what another line was like. I think it was the ship that we choose that was bad. We just got off the Zuiderdam. It was HORRIBLE. Our AC did not work correctly after the first 24 hours. They gave us an electric fan while they tried to fix it. It was a mess.

When we got on the ship our verandah was coverd with cigarett butts,ashes, and used washclothes! Our cabin steward did take the ashtray but DH and I cleaned the verandah ourselves.

HAL offers unlimited laundry for 45.00 It was great until they spilled bleach on a brand new 80.00 shirt. I tried to just be grateful that they only damaged on shirt. I would have just been happy if someone had apologized about it. I know that the poor person who did it did not mean to do it.

HAL refinished the railing on the verandah while we were in port one day. They left shaving everywhere on the verandah and tools. Plus one of the chairs was broken.

To me the food was mostly bad bad bad. However I like most of the Cooking Light items on NCL. I just do not like to eat a ton of friend foods, foods in heavy sauces etc. I will say that the lobster tails were very large. The weather was bad that night so I did not eat but Dh loved it. They also had snow crab legs one night. I ordered it but I did not realize that they were served in fish broth. The sugar free desserts were usually bad. Most desserts were stale. The breads were not as good as NCL's I thought. The room service was nice on HAL. You could get a wide array of items including fresh soup of the day, steak, shrimp all the time.

Our room was large and the verandah was huge. I would say the verandah was 3 times the size of the one I just had on the Spirit in October. However due to the air situation it was hard to use the verandah.

Also the porters were very nice.

We are now looking at booking another NCl in Jan/Feb/March.

I do really like NCL. We decided that we would try HAL to see what another line was like. I think it was the ship that we choose that was bad. We just got off the Zuiderdam. It was HORRIBLE. Our AC did not work correctly after the first 24 hours. They gave us an electric fan while they tried to fix it. It was a mess.

When we got on the ship our verandah was coverd with cigarett butts,ashes, and used washclothes! Our cabin steward did take the ashtray but DH and I cleaned the verandah ourselves.

HAL offers unlimited laundry for 45.00 It was great until they spilled bleach on a brand new 80.00 shirt. I tried to just be grateful that they only damaged on shirt. I would have just been happy if someone had apologized about it. I know that the poor person who did it did not mean to do it.

HAL refinished the railing on the verandah while we were in port one day. They left shaving everywhere on the verandah and tools. Plus one of the chairs was broken.

To me the food was mostly bad bad bad. However I like most of the Cooking Light items on NCL. I just do not like to eat a ton of friend foods, foods in heavy sauces etc. I will say that the lobster tails were very large. The weather was bad that night so I did not eat but Dh loved it. They also had snow crab legs one night. I ordered it but I did not realize that they were served in fish broth. The sugar free desserts were usually bad. Most desserts were stale. The breads were not as good as NCL's I thought. The room service was nice on HAL. You could get a wide array of items including fresh soup of the day, steak, shrimp all the time.

Our room was large and the verandah was huge. I would say the verandah was 3 times the size of the one I just had on the Spirit in October. However due to the air situation it was hard to use the verandah.

Also the porters were very nice.

We are now looking at booking another NCl in Jan/Feb/March.

If you read the post on those who have been on the Dream, you will be wise to stay off the Dream. By the way, we have taken three cruises on HAL, and, found them far superior to NCL's Dream. I loved the Indonesian and Phillipeno crews. So polite and efficient. Food was great. You might want to give HAL another try on a different ship. We have been with them in Alaska, Caribbean and the North Sea. All great trips.

I just finished my first cruise with HAL yesterday. We went on the 5 day Zuiderdam that got us back before Christmas. I was really looking forward to seeing the ship all decked out for the holidays. What a disappointment. As with all lines you find there are things you like and dislike about each. I have never been on a bad cruise, just some were better than others. I have to say, NCL is still my favorite line. I thought HAL would be but they didn't impress me like I was anticipating they would.

After many cruises on many lines, NCL still remains my favorite. I will continue to cruise other lines, but...my next two cruises are booked. March 2005, NCL Sun and March 2006 Norwegian Jewel. I was very excited to read about the new ships they have commissioned too! I like the freestyle dining and the choices available. I also like the size of the ships. I've been on the Mega ships that RCCL has and they were nice, but too big for my personal taste. I have children that cruise with us and NCL has enough for both of them to do without any problems.

Remember, cruising is what you make of it! Happy cruising!

Archived