do they take our birth cert when you apply for passport?

mother2_3

thanks for all the quick responses. i think i will do the passport ap monday and then if idont get either back by the first on sept, then i will send for an expedited birth certificate. i just freaked for a moment when i thought there was a possibility that i would be left with neither!

Why not just send for the BC now. Why pay extra to expedite one. That's what I did for all of us before we applied for passports. It never hurts to have extra certified copies in case you ever need them. My husband always wanted to keep the BC's in the safe deposit box in the bank but I got tired of always having to go to the bank whenever we needed them so now that we have extra copies we keep one copy at the bank and one copy at home. If copies are ever misplaced or lost at least we know we have another copy.

And................if you're married and this is the first time applying for a passport, (for the ladies), you'll need your wedding certificate unless you've kept your maiden name.

I thought the clerk at the post office was being alittle anal but I called U.S. passport services and she said this was the correct procedure.

I didn't have to have a copy of my marriage certificate to get my passport. Probably not a bad idea to have one tho just in case they ask for it.

And................if you're married and this is the first time applying for a passport, (for the ladies), you'll need your wedding certificate unless you've kept your maiden name.

I thought the clerk at the post office was being alittle anal but I called U.S. passport services and she said this was the correct procedure.

I had to have my current passport revised to my married name, and had to send in the marriage certificate as well. I had to do the same thing for my social security card. Just a note to the newlyweds out there - you will need a new SS card for your taxes - unless you are keeping your maiden name. Our first year - the refund was held up until I got the new SS card to show we were married. We bought our house before we were married, and still the tax office uses my maiden name - I guess I would have to go to the courthouse to get it updated.

Apparently Carnival is not experienced in revised passports - all they do is type on the last page - This passport has been reivised to New Name. When I presented our passports - then pointed out the revision - it was ignored, and they changed my name ont he reservation back to my maiden name. Finally my old passport has expired, and my new one can be correct!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother2_3 viewpost.gif

thanks for all the quick responses. i think i will do the passport ap monday and then if idont get either back by the first on sept, then i will send for an expedited birth certificate. i just freaked for a moment when i thought there was a possibility that i would be left with neither!

Why not just send for the BC now. Why pay extra to expedite one. That's what I did for all of us before we applied for passports. It never hurts to have extra certified copies in case you ever need them. My husband always wanted to keep the BC's in the safe deposit box in the bank but I got tired of always having to go to the bank whenever we needed them so now that we have extra copies we keep one copy at the bank and one copy at home. If copies are ever misplaced or lost at least we know we have another copy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvvp viewpost.gif

I didn't have to have a copy of my marriage certificate to get my passport. Probably not a bad idea to have one tho just in case they ask for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

good advise..get your stuff together way ahead of time..there are going to be circumstances where your going to need a BC in the future whether its on a cruise or not..

in the mean time..it s a good idea to get a passport as well..you may never need it..but, it s probably the best form of ID..

I saw this on one post in one thread, but havent seen it on the official website. I'm nervous now. I am cruising 9/28 and am going for passport on Monday (with almost 10 weeks remaining). If they take my birth certificate for the application and I don't get my passport in time (even though I have 10 weeks- something may happen) then I have no passport AND no birth certificate. Did I misread the post or do the keep the birth certificate and mail it back to you?

thanks- sharon

Normally I read through all the responses but not this time. The wife and thought we were so far ahead of the game when we went in and applied for our passports to have on a cruise we were taking in March. We didn't know they would keep the birth certificate so when they kept it we didn't think anything about it until we got home and I realized we didn't have a birth certificate for the cruise we were taking in TEN DAYS!!!!!

Needles to say we had to go reach out to our home states and pay the extra cost to have birth certificates mailed to us over night. That little "dohhhh" cost us over a $100!!!:eek::(

Also, for minor children both parents have to be there to sign when applying for a passport.

When I applied for my and son's passport, his father was not with us. They only required my certification signature, not both parents. This was just at the end of June.

Archived