Insurance for Ausie

Miystic

Hi I am wondering if anyone has had experience with the insurance policies that are with American Express credit cards or similar with other gold bank visa cards.

Interested if oK or best to get a seperate policy.

Thanks folks Going on Pacific Dawn 9 September 2009

Gwen

Hi I am wondering if anyone has had experience with the insurance policies that are with American Express credit cards or similar with other gold bank visa cards.

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

I know that the travel insurance that goes with the Commonwealth Gold Mastercard is supposed to be quite good. My girlfriend has used it a few times, but you must pay for your travel with the mastercard and then the T/A's add their % on top of the amount payable. ie: it cost more to put it on your credit cards.

I now pay by Direct Deposit to avoid extra costs then I purchase travel insurance seperately. For us I find this a cheaper, as I also do not have to pay the extra charges (to the bank) for the gold mastercard either.

If you already have a gold card I would certainly look into their travel insurance, but I would not take a get a gold card just for the insurance

Hope this helps.

Hi Gwen,

I am using my Commonwealth Bank Platium card to pay for my upcoming cruise. It has complimentary travel insurance included. The insurance is covered by Zurich. At first I wasn't sure about the cover, but I went to the website and read the terms and conditions thoroughly.(Thats 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back) :D

I am satisfied that it's ok so I probably won't take out a seperate policy. I know using my card incurs a % fee from the T/A, but I also get lots of extra reward points for using my card, so that makes up for it.

I think as long as you know what you are covered for and more importantly what your not covered for you should be ok.

Deidre.:)

Hi Gwen,

I am using my Commonwealth Bank Platium card to pay for my upcoming cruise. It has complimentary travel insurance included. The insurance is covered by Zurich. At first I wasn't sure about the cover, but I went to the website and read the terms and conditions thoroughly.(Thats 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back) :D

I am satisfied that it's ok so I probably won't take out a seperate policy. I know using my card incurs a % fee from the T/A, but I also get lots of extra reward points for using my card, so that makes up for it.

I think as long as you know what you are covered for and more importantly what your not covered for you should be ok.

Deidre.:)

We too have a Platinum credit care AMEX and VISA. They both cover us totally for our insurance as long as we purchase our travel with the credit card at no extra charge.

I know someone who had a Gold Visa and the insurance coverage. Unfortunately they did have a problem whilst on their cruise. They had to be taken off the ship, then medivacced by plane to hospital in another country. They underwent surgery in hospital in that country and were there for 3 weeks. Then had to be medivacced again by plane with an accompanying nurse home and transferred to hospital in their home town.

All this was covered on their Gold Visa insurance to the tune of A$420,000 and everything was arranged and sorted by the insurance company, the patient didn't have to worry about a thing.

Now, that's good insurance I say. So to anyone out there who can get this or already has this insurance cover attached to their credit card.....stick with it, it's worth it's weight in Gold or Platinum or whatever.:)

Hi Gwen

We have AMEX Platinum and we had a claim last year for medical on board the ship. I had no problem whatsover, filled in the forms and it was on our Bank Account within 10 days, no questions asked which I though was proabably better than opur usual Insurance Companies who query everything. The excess was only $100

Cheers

Hi there GoldCoastcruisers

Sorry to digress but I see you were on Millenium Last year....Was that from Honolulu?? We may have seen you!!

No we were on Millenium but only from Sydney to Auckland last year.

The year before we were on Mercury from Ensenada to Sydney via Honolulu etc, a nice 42 days..:)

Jillybean:)

Thanks Jillybean

Wow!! 42 days on board would be my dream, unfortunately we have to work.

I had a friend recently retiurn from a 42 day trip and I had to laugh...Hes 79 and very active and said he'd never been so bored as he couldn't play golf.(it was his first ever cruise)

Not me, I could live at sea, with plenty of activity in the ports.

Cheers

Gwen

Welcome To CC :)

I haven't had any experience with the insurance policies linked to these credit cards, but would suggest that you compare their policy to an independent travel insurer's policy, to check for any exclusions etc.

If you are looking at getting a quote from an Independent travel insurer, I have found AAMI & Westpac to be good which are both part of Vero.

Hope this helps :)

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

We have a Platinum Amex and Mastercard that offers travel insurance if you use it to purchase your travel. We travelled to Asia last year and on the first day my husband had his wallet stolen from his pocket ... silly string of events caused the wallet to be there and not in the bum bag that we had purchased to use!!! :mad:

We got in touch with the bank straight away and they arranged for a new credit card to arrive at our hotel in Malaysia the next morning. We went to the police station and reported the theft and they gave us the necessary paper work which we needed to claim when we arrived home. As some of our loss was cash we thought they might not pay out on this as some insurances don't, however they were really good and paid out within a couple of weeks minus a small excess that most insurances have. We were very happy with them and feel confident to use this insurance for all our travel in the future.

Mandy.

• 2 weeks later...

None so can't comment but what I would recommend for Travel Insurance and this only applies If you haven't already bought your policy when you booked your holiday is to try the places that do your home or car insurance they might even give you a discount

Hi All

We use our West Pac gold card for insurance, but we have to pay an extra $55 for my husband who is on long term medication, this is classed as a pre existing condition and both of us are NOT covered until the money has been paid.

My husband has diabetes and our Westpac gold card insurance covers him for his diabetes for a fee of $55 (due to the fact that it is a pre-existing ailment). This is the same as most insurance companies who charge extra to cover ailments you know you have already. The credit card fee and the $55 is still a reasonable insurance option for us as I have checked other companies who charge a lot more for the same cover. I, too have studied the policies and they sure seem the same to me. I like the Qantas points we earn as well and on Weds next week we are flying premium economy to London for $446 for the two of us. Win, win for us!

As my husband has diabetes we have always purchased our travel insurance (paying extra for pre existing illness) from an independant insurance company. We are going on the 18 day cruise Freo to Sydney on 25 August and found most insurance companies do not give Australia only travel insurance. I know we are covered by medicare in Australia but with the prevalence of Swine Flu, etc at the moment and having to fly to Perth we wanted the comfort of travel insurance. We have booked our insurance on the Qantas website, using QBE Insurance and there is a list of ailments where you don't have to fill in forms for pre existing illness. Diabetes 1 and 2 are one of these where no extra forms of extra payment are required. Our total cost for 24 days was $150.00. On this insurance you also get your frequent flyer points back if you have to cancel your flight.

If we used our platinum or gold card visa or amex, it would have cost us an additional $150.00 for the % on the card plus we would have had to pay extra again for pre existing illness.

We use an ANZ gold visa card. You only have to put $250 of your travel on it before you go. The policy seems to me to be complete. We have have claimed once for a cancelled cruise but it was rejected, HOWEVER when I investigated all the policies I looked at also would not have covered us.

Archived