Train from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica

saevans

Would someone have specific direction to get from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica by train and back. What and where are the connections? We do not speak Italian and would love to be able to avoid expensive tour services.

Thank you VERY much.

saevans

Take the train to Ostiense and change to the metro going to Lido di Ostia and get off at the stop Ostia Antica. It is about a 10 minute walk to the entrance. We were there in May 08 and spent about 4 hours after our cruise before we flew home the next morning.

It was very quiet compared to Pompeii but just as fascinating.

If you have one, take a flashlight. You're able to enter the old water system (among other places) and do some exploring. It's unmarked (I think), but as you enter, it's a fairly large underground cavern. There are a few blocked passageways, but one passageway is clear which eventually is lit at the other end (about 150 meters) from what looked like clear tiles from above. The passageway is pitch black, but I could see the occasional bird/bat flying around due to the light at the end of the passageway. I really wanted to see where the tiled area ended up, but was too chicken to walk that distance not being able to see what was near me.

Ostia Antica has some great sights -- even moreso if you do some exploring off the main road.

If you want more details about the cavern, let me know and I'll try to explain where it is.

DON'T go by car!!! The trip is covered by a single Metro ticket which is €1. So that would be €2 total for a return trip.

It's fairly easy to get to. Follow the instructions above and you won't have a problem. You can even bring a picnic lunch if you want (there's also a snack bar that serves pastas and assorted other goodies).

EDIT: Sorry. I read your post wrong. It's €1 from ROME not Civitavecchia. The train from Civitavecchia to Ostiense is about €10.50, then a metro ticket to Ostia Antica (repeat all costs for the return).

To add some more information:

The trip from Civitavecchia to Ostiense is about 40 minutes. From Ostiense to Ostia Antica is about 30 minutes.

When buying your ticket train ticket to/from Civitavecchia, buy a roundtrip ticket -- they're usually cheaper than two one ways.

To add some more information:

The trip from Civitavecchia to Ostiense is about 40 minutes. From Ostiense to Ostia Antica is about 30 minutes.

When buying your ticket train ticket to/from Civitavecchia, buy a roundtrip ticket -- they're usually cheaper than two one ways.

You can get the BIRG transportation pass for 9 euro per person in Civitavecchia. It will cover your roundtrip from Civitavecchia to Ostiense and back. I am not sure if it covers the portion of the metro that takes you from Ostiense to Ostia Antica, you might have to pay the extra 1 euro for that. Maybe someone else knows for sure....

Archived