Expensive

Isn't Freedom a bigger ship than Liberty? More cabin space = more passengers = bigger draw.

Freedom, Liberty and Independence are all identical in size, passenger capacity and amenties. They are all part of the Freedom class. Freedom was the first (therefore the oldest), not sure off the top of my head which came next.

You have probably heard of Supply and Demand?

I also don't believe in crop circles until I see the data behind it also.

Anecdotal remarks used as fact uses little brain power.

I also don't believe in crop circles until I see the data behind it also.

Anecdotal remarks used as fact uses little brain power.

Jeez, the observed fact is the price....

Last post from me on this topic.

I found a mini-suite on Sapphire Princess for $990 less than Mariner. Same itinerary, same time of year.....just one day apart.

I booked Mariner anyway. I had a number of reasons for doing so.

Since I booked, my price came down $590. So, Princess is still $400 cheaper, but I am happy with my decision. I think Mariner is a fantastic ship.

Besides, I will be on Golden Princess soon after that. It may have been a tougher decision if RCI did an LA/Hawaii run.

Folks... you are paying the higher fares simply because of all the bells and whistles that RCL is provding on their ships compared to other cruiselines... their concept is that the "Ship" is the "Destination" rather than the ports of call.....Plus with these new "Body Barges" being built including the state of art ammenities... someone is going to have to pay for them ! Personally I think RCL's financial model is not a wise decision and that we need to go back to the basics of what cruising was years gone by.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe RCL is not, or no longer the cruise line for you. I personally enjoy all of those "bells and whistles" and do enjoy my time on their "destination". I personally look for inineraries that have a nice mix of ports, and sea days. Also, I rather enjoy sailing on a "Destination" while on trans atlantic cruises. It's a matter of choice, and unfortunately, or furtunately this is the future of mass market cruising.:rolleyes:

Jeez, the observed fact is the price....

Last post from me on this topic.

It cost more that must mean brisk business.

Bigger # = better.

Right....

Like I said little brain power used to the aforementioned.

Freedom, Liberty and Independence are all identical in size, passenger capacity and amenties. They are all part of the Freedom class. Freedom was the first (therefore the oldest), not sure off the top of my head which came next.

FYI...Liberty came next, then Independence. You listed them in correct order above from oldest to newest.

I was pricing the Carnival Valor last Dec. for my Oct. trip this year. Also compared the price with RCI Liberty of the Seas. RCI only came out to about $25 more, with much more to do on the ship. The difference was due to two less port charges than Carnival because it hits 3 ports, whereas Carnival hits 4, and out of the 3, RCI owns one (Labadee), so there's no port charge for it. So on Carnival, the total cost included 4 port charges, and RCI only included 2.

So look at the total price, inclusive of port charges and taxes, to really see the difference in price.

;) I booked Brilliance for Nov 2010 in the MED. 12 days in a Grand Suite with all the extra perks....priority embark/disembark , concierge service, concierge lounge with free drinks and hors d'ourves, priority tenders/show seats/poolside chairs etc. etc. for the SAME price as a mini suite on Princess ( 100 sq. ft. Smaller/balcony 1/3 the size) with no perks at all.

Now, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this was a no brainer for me.

It was a choice between these two lines as no one else { other than some luxury lines which are not in the budget} had the itineraries and dates I needed.

The only negatives I consistently hear about RCI is that the main dining room food is only average.........and that doesn't bother me as I plan to eat 6-7 evenings in the specialty restaurants, a few times thru room service {after long shore days} and possibly once or twice at the buffet.

Bottom line : RCI offered me - 100 sq. ft more cabin space

- 120 sq. ft more balcony ( # 1060)

- loads of perks

- concierge lounge access

- free drinks and snacks every evening

- private departure lounge+contin. breakfast

Princess offered : nothing extra

Fares were identical.

Happy sailing to all.

Archived