Messina to Taormina

savannah sue

We'll be arriving in Messina on a HAL cruise in August on a SUNDAY. Does anyone know approx. cost group taxi rates from port to Taormina, please? Also will shops be closed since its Sunday? I know its about 26 miles from Messina to Taormina ...probably about 1hour plus drive? Will the taxis be able to leave us off at the beginning of the main street (Corso Umberto) ? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. SS

I can't address the taxi cost but if you use the search function in Italy Ports it should give you several threads regarding costs.

The shops and restaurants will be open. Some may close for siesta between 12/12:30 to 3:30. August in Taormina is at the height of the tourist season so there will be many, many people in town.

The taxi can and will leave you off at the beginning of Corso Umberto at the Messina Gate and can pick you up there also.

Thank you very much for your most helpful info. I have stayed in Taormina several years ago inthe winter and it was idyllic. Perhaps we will be disappointed with the crowds but I do want my friend to see this slice of history and Mt Etna, of course. SS

It's still beautiful and enchanting but there have been some changes over the last three years. More designer shops, one of which replaced our favorite cafe, St. Honore's on Corso Umberto. The ruin of the old Hotel Metropole is being gutted and renovated with a new Hotel Metropole. The views of the Ionian and Mt. Aetna are still there!

Archived