Lokrum Island

Hi All!

Has anyone ever gone here while being in port in Dubrovnik? A friend suggested that if we have time, to go there as it's beautiful and there's peacocks, lol. Any info would be great! Thanks! :D

Here is an exerp from my review of my May Med cruise.

We were in Dubrovnik, Croatia in May. The ship shuttle into town was 16$PP but we shared a taxi with another couple for 5 euros each couple ( 10 euros a taxi). This is a beautiful old walled city. It was a beautiful day and warm enough for a swim. Since we were here last year and walked around the city walls we decided to take the ferry to Lokrum a Croatian National park. The ferry was 6 euros and took 15 minutes. We walked to Fort Royal which is on the highest point of the island. The views are great. There is not much left of the fort but you could go inside and up to the top. We also went to one of the “beaches” which is just rocks with ladders down into the water. We brought a picnic lunch with us and went for a swim. The water was a refreshing 68 degrees. There is also an old monastery that has a restaurant in it. We took the ferry back at 3:15 and walked through the town some then took the taxi back to the ship.

Here is an exerp from my review of my May Med cruise.

We were in Dubrovnik, Croatia in May. The ship shuttle into town was 16$PP but we shared a taxi with another couple for 5 euros each couple ( 10 euros a taxi). This is a beautiful old walled city. It was a beautiful day and warm enough for a swim. Since we were here last year and walked around the city walls we decided to take the ferry to Lokrum a Croatian National park. The ferry was 6 euros and took 15 minutes. We walked to Fort Royal which is on the highest point of the island. The views are great. There is not much left of the fort but you could go inside and up to the top. We also went to one of the “beaches” which is just rocks with ladders down into the water. We brought a picnic lunch with us and went for a swim. The water was a refreshing 68 degrees. There is also an old monastery that has a restaurant in it. We took the ferry back at 3:15 and walked through the town some then took the taxi back to the ship.

Wow thanks! This is exactly what we were thinking of doing. We have 8 hours to actually spend in port. Think that's sufficient?

Yes. The first time we were in Dubrovnik we walked the walls the first thing in the morning then took the boat to Locrum. We enjoyed it so much that in May we spent the whole day there. Just make sure you leave enough time to get back to the ship. The afternoon traffic can be bad.

Here are my pictures of Locrum.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2725455460101391319QJlMQb

Yes. The first time we were in Dubrovnik we walked the walls the first thing in the morning then took the boat to Locrum. We enjoyed it so much that in May we spent the whole day there. Just make sure you leave enough time to get back to the ship. The afternoon traffic can be bad.

Here are my pictures of Locrum.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2725455460101391319QJlMQb

Thanks for the pics! When you say there's traffic, do you mean once we get off the ferry, the traffic a taxi might hit when trying to get us back to the ship? Thanks! I'm just confused as to where the ship docks and the ferry leaves for the island.

The traffic a taxi might hit. If you dock the ship will be about 2 miles from the old town. A taxi is the easiest way to get to old town. The ships have a shuttle but they usually cost more. Also at the end of the day there is sometimes a long line for the ship shuttle. It's so much easier to just walk across the street and catch a taxi back. You have to walk through old town from where the taxi lets you off to the harbor. Some ships will tender to the old town harbor but most don't.

Thanks for the pics! When you say there's traffic, do you mean once we get off the ferry, the traffic a taxi might hit when trying to get us back to the ship? Thanks! I'm just confused as to where the ship docks and the ferry leaves for the island.

It appears that you are sailing on the Norwegian Jade, arriving in Dubrovnik on Thursday 10 September. The port authority does show that the Jade will be at anchor in the old town. However, I stress that the website for the port authority was published early this year and has not been updated with many new arrivals. It is also true that any town port may change your dock or anchor location at any time. This being said, if you are at anchor in the old town port this puts the ship at sea next to the island of Lokrum and town. You will be tendered into the Porporela area. No taxi or shuttle ride into the old town. Yours is the only large ship arriving on that date, so again I stress strongly it could change your location.

May I suggest you visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, it has a map which you should print and utilize while you're here.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Archived