any experience traveling with a portable bed rail?

usavvy2

DH uses a bed rail ("Standers" bed cane) to help him turn over in bed. They also make a bed cane for travel; I was wondering if anyone has this or something like this that they travel with and what their experience has been. (I know it's a long shot but thought I'd ask just the same as I'm considering packing it for our river cruise/hotel nights on an upcoming river cruise.) The concept is one part of it goes under the mattress and the other is perpendicular to the bed. The part under the mattress has a hefty strap which is then secured to the other side of the bed using the bed railing.

thanks for any comments.

I have not seen these, but we considered a child's bed rail that slips under the mattress (18") and folds flat. Wrapped and taped it can be sent with the luggage. We used it as a transitional device from a crib to a full size bed. Worked great when my mom got ill.

I use one like that but I have it in the middle of the head of the bed and use it as an aid to assist me to turn over. The V.A. prostetics department gave it to me. It is really made to be used on the side of the bed. I have had the hotel manager ,then the captain of the ship come into my room and have asked them to consider a head board that you can grab on to or a railing that runs parallel to the head of the bed. We have talked to the accessibility department managers for RCI and Princess. Still no luck. Any suggestions ?

DH uses a bed rail ("Standers" bed cane) to help him turn over in bed. They also make a bed cane for travel; I was wondering if anyone has this or something like this that they travel with and what their experience has been. (I know it's a long shot but thought I'd ask just the same as I'm considering packing it for our river cruise/hotel nights on an upcoming river cruise.) The concept is one part of it goes under the mattress and the other is perpendicular to the bed. The part under the mattress has a hefty strap which is then secured to the other side of the bed using the bed railing.

thanks for any comments.

You'd have to find out from the cruise line if the bed in your cabin even has a rail, or a way to attach that strap. I'd hate to have you buy that and deal with getting it to the ship to find there was no way to attach it!

I use one like that but I have it in the middle of the head of the bed and use it as an aid to assist me to turn over. The V.A. prostetics department gave it to me. It is really made to be used on the side of the bed. I have had the hotel manager ,then the captain of the ship come into my room and have asked them to consider a head board that you can grab on to or a railing that runs parallel to the head of the bed. We have talked to the accessibility department managers for RCI and Princess. Still no luck. Any suggestions ?

yes, I noticed that there was no headboard on the river cruise beds so that's why I thought I'd need to bring it for DH. great idea about placing it at the top of the bed! thanks!

You'd have to find out from the cruise line if the bed in your cabin even has a rail, or a way to attach that strap. I'd hate to have you buy that and deal with getting it to the ship to find there was no way to attach it!

true but... we'll be in hotels for 4 or 5 nights as well so even if it doesn't work on the boat, it should work in the hotel rooms.

That's what's keeping me from getting one. Thinking of just backing DW's powerchair up to the bed so she can grab a push handle.

You'd have to find out from the cruise line if the bed in your cabin even has a rail, or a way to attach that strap...

thanks for any comments.

My mom uses this bed rail at home. When we were on the Caribbean Princess, they had a rail for her to use waiting in the room for us. When I had called about the possibility of a h/c cabin (not available), we were asked if we wanted the bed rail, as well as a shower seat. The bed rail they provided was like the ones that we used when the kids moved from cribs to beds.

My mom uses this bed rail at home. When we were on the Caribbean Princess, they had a rail for her to use waiting in the room for us. When I had called about the possibility of a h/c cabin (not available), we were asked if we wanted the bed rail, as well as a shower seat. The bed rail they provided was like the ones that we used when the kids moved from cribs to beds.

great idea; I'll all AValon and see if they can provide a rail and/or shower seat! thanks for the idea.

Archived