Upgrade Fairy Does Exist!!!

Yep, you're right, I just checked. There is a Special Residency Rate for the JS for Illinois (I went by your location info). Taken from the RCCL web site....

Special Pricing

Residency Rate

1st or 2nd Guest Stateroom $699.00

Total *$1,398.00 USD

But it is more than the $1,150 that you paid for the OV.

So you received a bonafide upgrade. That is awesome! Congrats! :D:D:D May the upgrade fairy always shine on you. :)

MAy the upgrade fairy shine on everyone! :D

Yep, you're right, I just checked. There is a Special Residency Rate for the JS for Illinois (I went by your location info). Taken from the RCCL web site....

Special Pricing

Residency Rate

1st or 2nd Guest Stateroom $699.00

Total *$1,398.00 USD

But it is more than the $1,150 that you paid for the OV.

So you received a bonafide upgrade. That is awesome! Congrats! :D:D:D May the upgrade fairy always shine on you. :)

You forgot to add my daughter - which brings the total of the JS, if booked normally, to around $1680. Now compare that to the $1150 for the three of us! :D

Lil Davy,

I am still very jealous and I must write for more answers!!

I am from the State of IL and sailing on the Majesty on Sept 7.

I am currently booked in OV on deck 6. Today I noticed a price drop in Superior OV and also that there is residency rate drop for Balcony. I cannot even afford the price difference for the balcony. Did you call intending to upgrade and pay the difference or only find out. How many times did you call. They noted in my RCI "file" that they informed me that I couldnt get reimbursed the price difference since the new sale is only on previous bookings. Was this ever noted in your file. I am so confused?!?!?

Lil Davy,

I am currently booked in OV on deck 6. Today I noticed a price drop in Superior OV and also that there is residency rate drop for Balcony. I cannot even afford the price difference for the balcony. Did you call intending to upgrade and pay the difference or only find out. How many times did you call. They noted in my RCI "file" that they informed me that I couldnt get reimbursed the price difference since the new sale is only on previous bookings. Was this ever noted in your file. I am so confused?!?!?

There are no balcony cabins on the Majesty.

The SOV cheap fare is for the "Sales Event", a Tuesday only promotion, which is strictly for new bookings, NOT for someone who is already booked on this cruise.

There are no balcony cabins on the Majesty.

The SOV cheap fare is for the "Sales Event", a Tuesday only promotion, which is strictly for new bookings, NOT for someone who is already booked on this cruise.

But there ARE balconies on the Majesty!

Congrats on the upgrade! :o:o:o We too are on that sailing and I contacted the C&A for a reservation issue, I mentioned as D+ members that if upgrades were being considered we would be interested since we have the same cabin B2B and wouldn't mind changing rooms.

Here is the response that I recieved back:

"Unfortunately, only Diamond Plus members who have earned a minimum of 75 completed cruise credits are eligible for upgrades on three and four

night sailings."

So I guess that there really is an upgrade fairy since RCCL does not

upgrade! LOL :D:D:D

Thats correct...DP has to have 75 for the shorter cruises(which makes no sense to me,but hey,their rules)........I tend to believe those with less credits are the ones that get upgrades over those with more....I see it time and time again......maybe they figure,we are already hooked??

But there ARE balconies on the Majesty!
Princess Scuba just meant there is no balcony category.....just suites for the balcony cabins..

Lil Davy,

Frenchie,

My initial calls were only to get a price reduction from what I originally paid to what the new, advertised Tuesday special was. Every call was answered with the same "this pricing is for new bookings only". I must've called about 4-5 times (on different days) hoping to get someone that would honor the price adjustment. Sometime between Thursday night and Friday morning, RCI automatically upgraded me without me knowing. So, when I called about the price adjustment on Friday, they informed me that I had been upgraded. I am assuming this upgrade had more to do with my Platinum status and the fact that they are not filling up this ship for the Labor Day sailing. Are you a C&A? If so, what level (Gold, Platinum)?

BTW - when you booked, did you get the Residency rate? Did you book through a TA or through RCI direct? If you didn't get the Residency rate, I think you should. I don't beleive that is for new bookings - I could be wrong though.

Well, I don't know someone elses status but I never expect to get something for nothing anyway. I do know as much as I enjoy traveling RCCL, I've been tossing the idea around about trying Princess Cruise Lines. They have just about the identical itinerary to the Mexican Riviera as the Mariner of the Seas. Their Mini Suite is pricing out at $250.00 pp less than Mariners' JS next April. This may just be the push for me to try them instead.

We prefer the RCCL JS over the mini-suites. The room was long and narrow (more like a Cat. D on RCCL, and you had to go through the closet area to get to the bathroom, which was also long a narrow. However, we loved the Coral Princess ship!

Here are photos of the Mini Suite if you are interested.

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

The bathroom is to the left of this cabinet. The doors were always bumping into each other.

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

Lil Davy,

I am a C&A Gold Member. I initially booked through a travel agency so every time I call RCI they then make me call my travel agent to do the work; however it was an online cruise travel agency so I feel bad. My initial rate was pretty good so I believe I got the resident rate on my initial booking. As you said...I will just have to keep trying! haha

Thank you so much for all the advice!

Lil Davy,

I am a C&A Gold Member. I initially booked through a travel agency so every time I call RCI they then make me call my travel agent to do the work; however it was an online cruise travel agency so I feel bad. My initial rate was pretty good so I believe I got the resident rate on my initial booking. As you said...I will just have to keep trying! haha

Thank you so much for all the advice!

When I booked, my rate was $319 p/p which included the Residency Rate. How does this compare to yours?

Lil Davy,

Lil Davy!

When I booked originally through my cruise travel agency it was $319 p/p INCLUDING all port fees/taxes. Of course gratuities will be extra!

So it looks like we both had the same price execpt you chose the residency rate and I received some cruise special they were having.

I called this morning and talked with a reservation person and he said if I wanted to upgrade to the SOV the standard rate would be $299 before taxes/port fees etc., however, they still have a rate of $239 before taxes/port fees etc., on their website now. I called my travel agency again to see what they could do since the rate is still being offered today. I just feel like I keep calling and calling but I have to do it through them instead of RCI. Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for all of the great advice! It is all greatly appreciated it!

By the way...are you northern or southern IL?

Lil Davy,

Lil Davy!

When I booked originally through my cruise travel agency it was $319 p/p INCLUDING all port fees/taxes. Of course gratuities will be extra!

So it looks like we both had the same price execpt you chose the residency rate and I received some cruise special they were having.

I called this morning and talked with a reservation person and he said if I wanted to upgrade to the SOV the standard rate would be $299 before taxes/port fees etc., however, they still have a rate of $239 before taxes/port fees etc., on their website now. I called my travel agency again to see what they could do since the rate is still being offered today. I just feel like I keep calling and calling but I have to do it through them instead of RCI. Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for all of the great advice! It is all greatly appreciated it!

By the way...are you northern or southern IL?

I'm in Shorewood, IL - just outside Joliet.

I have a question for the well cruised. We booked a balcony guarantee on Freedom. We were given an E-1 at the back of the ship. I asked the TA if she couldn't get us one of the cabins closer to the elevators as my friend is physically challenged and has trouble walking. She got us 9392 which is a D-2, but still at the very back of the starboard side. I've only cruised on port side, but I can deal with starboard. However it's no further foward. I see that 7340 an E-2 hump is available, but the TA said they won't change our category. I don't understand what the problem is to go to a smaller E-2 when it is a step down, not up. I'd like to call RCCL myself. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

TIA,

Cheryl

First of all,you cant deal directly with RCCL,since you used a TA..they won't talk to you and will tell you to deal with the TA.....

I guess the problem is you want to change categories and with only a little over 2 weeks to go,that's not gonna happen..besides it is a guarantee.........

Hate to say it,but if your friend needed a cabin closer to mid ship due to disablilities,you shouldn't had booked a guarantee.........too late now,I know,but maybe a lesson learned..

Hope you have a good time anyway..

Thanks, I personally never book guarantees. I want the cabin that I want, however my friend just couldn't decide if she wanted to go or not and that's all that was left.

I know we'll still have a good time, but I don't understand why they won't let us downgrade from a D-2 to an E-2.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

My ever vigilant wife scored us an upgrade AND price reduction today. We're sailing on Liberty Jan 24th and had an E2 balcony cabin for an already great price. (for comparison, it was about the same as an oceanview we had on Grandeur 3 years ago :eek:) My wife discovered yesterday that they had dropped the price of D2 cabins to $40 less than our E2! (I think it was $40, she's the one handling the details) Anyway, I think an instant hold went on that new cabin and she's been finalizing it with the TA today. (A bit of a hassle with some coupon redemption, but its minor)

The upgrade fairy helps those that help themselves, I guess.:D

Last week we booked an OV guaranty (sr. pricing) on Vision OTS for Sept. 10-15 (Copenhagen-Norway-Copenhagen) for $481. Fully expected to get the lowest OV category, for which we paid. Last night I spotted that no Insides or OVs were available at all on the RCL website. This morning we received our cabin assignment -- D1 Balcony portside midships. FANTASTIC!!!!

We have never booked a guaranty category before, since I always insist on picking the "perfect" cabin for a particular cruise (aft balcony or OV under the bridge or ... ), but the balcony price on this short cruise was 2 1/2 times as expensive as the OV guaranty.

The upgrade Fairy lives!!!!!!:D

Last week we booked an OV guaranty (sr. pricing) on Vision OTS for Sept. 10-15 (Copenhagen-Norway-Copenhagen) for $481. Fully expected to get the lowest OV category, for which we paid. Last night I spotted that no Insides or OVs were available at all on the RCL website. This morning we received our cabin assignment -- D1 Balcony portside midships. FANTASTIC!!!!

We have never booked a guaranty category before, since I always insist on picking the "perfect" cabin for a particular cruise (aft balcony or OV under the bridge or ... ), but the balcony price on this short cruise was 2 1/2 times as expensive as the OV guaranty.

The upgrade Fairy lives!!!!!!:D

What a GREAT surprise!!!! Congratulations and Enjoy!!!

Congratulations! You are both very lucky!!!

We went with a balcony guarantee for the first time as it was the only way to get a decent price. Then they dropped the prices and we couldn't get them to budge on giving us a different cabin. We have a balcony way towards the rear of the ship and i'm not happy. Never again!

We booked the cheapest inside stateroom guarantee on our next cruise on the Navigator, because we didn't really care where they put us. I figured they'd put us in a tiny room on deck three or something, but I was fine with it because it was so cheap. (Besides, it would be a good workout.) However, when we talked to our travel agent, she told us that we had been upgraded to a promenade stateroom on deck eight, so we're thrilled.

Apparently, the upgrade fairy does exist. :)

Archived