Circumnavigating Australia

We are planning a 17 day circumnavigation of Australia; I am looking for information about the ports we will be visiting. They are Brisbane, Airlie Beach, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, Darwin, Broome, Exmouth and Perth. I will appreciate any information about self guide walking tours and the best way to see the Great Barrier Reef.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.:)

Yes, dear friends, my husband and I have booked the February 26th sailing. I have already found information regarding the red and blue busses in Sydney and the City Sites tour on the Hop on Hop off Bus: [http://www.citysights.com.au/home/default.asp[/url] in Brisbane. It is the other ports and a good reef trip I am most concerned about. How about you --- have you booked?

[/font][/color]

this is what we have done so far. We are flying into sydney and are staying at Mariott Circular Quay from the 20th til 26th (booked on priceline ) . from some of the research these are some of the things I found of interest- sydney-use the sydney Explorer bus not the official site seeing bus, sydney Aquarium, day trip to blue Mountains via wonderbus Manley Beach by ferry, Opera house, Possible day trip to Canberra. GBR is also a must for us...I really want to snorkle but not with a huge crowd..been looking into private tours but there could be problems with time due to tendering and the amount of time to get to the reef so I have been thinking mabe a plane tour over the reef. In Darwin I would like to rent a car or do a day tour to the National Park..I want to see the giant ant hills. In Broome I want to do the camel rides on the beach. I guess I have a lot of research to do but we still have plenty of time. Once our summer is over I will start in earnest . I wonder when the ships tours will be listed? We generally book independent and have never had a problem. Have you registered for Meet & Mingle yet.

Muriel

Regarding the Meet and Mingle, no we have not registered, yet. Please don't laugh at my question. But, exaclty what is the advantage of the Meet and Mingle? We have never been to one before and I can not find out any information about them.

Regrading the Great Barrier Reef, I share you concern. I have contacted a few tours groups and there seems to be a problem with their departure time and our arrival and ability to get off of the ship.

I keep hoping some lovely Australian will respond to our questions.

Hi folks,

We did this cruise last year on Dawn Princess and I imagine the tours will be much the same as we were offerred.

I had a quick look at the itinerary for Rhapsody of the Seas and see you are tendering at both Airlies Beach and Cairns. This means that if you want to visit the GBR, the catamaran boats will come to the ship, and will pick you up and deliver you back . Thats the only way they can do it in the time frame. It is quite a long way out to the reef and I am not sure from which of these ports they will offer it from ,if at all.

At Cairns you will tender ashore at Yorkeys Knob and the tours will run from there. They will also have a shuttle into Cairns.

Another point to make re Broome and Exmouth. These are very small towns and not really geared up to handle over a 1,000 people in the one day.

My suggestion is that if you want to do any of the tours here book on line as soon as they come out, as when we boarded they were all sold out before we even left.

I have never been to Port Morseby, but from what I have heard, it is not the place to wander anywhere on your own, so a ships tour would be best there.

Just a word of advice regarding the GBR. If they are doing a trip to the reef from Airlie Beach take that instead of Cairns. Much better snorkeling at Airlie and less crowded. The reef is closer too, less travelling time.

Cairns time should be spent going up to Karanda on the train and down on the skyrail. Do not miss this, the views are to die for.

thank you David. did you do the ships tour to GBR & did they provide the snorkle equip? How long a time at the reef & how rough were the waters? How long did you have at the reef? Thanks for your helpMuriel

When I did the ships tour to the reef ...it was many years ago and our ship anchored just off the reef to allow us to be picked up by the catamarans and then it was only a 10 minute trip to the reef platform. Had our time there, and yes plenty of equipment, including wet suits at the platform. We then had lunch on the catamaran and headed back for the long trip to meet up with the ship at Hamilton Island. Unfortunately you have to cross a stretch of open ocean....and it did get a bit bouncy .

Shall we just say that many on board gave the lunch back.

Nowadays the big cruise ships are not allowed near the reef, as it a National Reserve, so you have to go the long distance both ways, from either Airlie Beach or Hamilton Island.

(both tender ports and the reef boats come to the ship)

Billy and Charlie's Mum

Cairns time should be spent going up to Kuranda on the train and down on the skyrail. Do not miss this, the views are to die for.

That would also be my suggestion for Cairns.

Train up to Kuranda and Skyrail back over the treetops.

Just stunning.

The train gets booked out, even when a cruise ship is not in, so this may be a case of having to book the ships tour, to fit in with the time frame. They may even put on a special train for the ship

I guess you will have to wait and see what tours they offer when the tours are posted for your cruise. However your research now will pay off as you will have a good idea of whats on offer.

Archived