Aft balcony on Scenic Tours River cruise

Travelbyboat

I travelled in Cabin 234 (last on the Rhine Deck) on both the Sapphire and the Emerald. There were occasionally times when you couldn't open your door because of diesel fumes but not too often. One of the other passengers who had the Junior Suite (?) at the aft complained that fumes were definitely a problem and that stuff fell off shelves with the shudder. We were more worried about the flooding shower. Also, the crew need to go in and out of a door at the rear - sometimes a bit disturbing. Have to say again, if you haven't already booked, try another company - unless you want to change your name to Travelbybus!

You are funny. I actually have a booking already for next year. But I have not taken the aft balcony but rather the Royal suite which is in the middle of the ship. I doubt it will be a problem there. Also I believe Travelbybus situation is not limited to Scenic but can be encountered by any river vessel if there are any river level and/or mechanical issues. Am I right?

Cool cruiser you are correct about other Co's having to use coaches to move people when an unexpected event like highwater occurs -it is the teatment you receive afterwards where Scenic differs from say APT -APT care about their pax Scenic don't give a stuff about theirs .Hope you are not travelling in Mid to late April next year or you will definitely be a bus traveller as Locks are scheduled to be closed for maintenance -good luck don't say you weren't warned.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am currently sailing on the Scenic Ruby (we were on the Emerald last week but had to change due to low water levels) and I can tell you that the aft cabins are BAD. Two passengers traveling with us are staying in one and have had a terrible time with the noise and vibration; the rumblings in the cabin have started to make them feel sick. On top of that problem, they've also had some sort of a pipe leaking onto their balcony which makes it impossible to go out and use it.

They did ask to change cabins but apparently the ship is full. When that didn't work, they approached our cruise director (Tanna) who told them she'd write "a report on it". Three days later one of the ladies staying in the aft cabin approached Tanna and asked for a copy of that report. Tanna's response was "it's on my computer" and that was that. Another day after that, the passengers approached her again for a copy and she said the same thing. I dont think theyve received a copy of the alleged "report" yet, but Tanna has been less than forthcoming with regards to help.

It's a pity the passengers staying in those cabins have to pay the same as the other passengers who don't have to put up with that.

Cool cruiser you are correct about other Co's having to use coaches to move people when an unexpected event like highwater occurs -it is the teatment you receive afterwards where Scenic differs from say APT -APT care about their pax Scenic don't give a stuff about theirs .Hope you are not travelling in Mid to late April next year or you will definitely be a bus traveller as Locks are scheduled to be closed for maintenance -good luck don't say you weren't warned.:)

I think that's a little OTT, Cockie :rolleyes: We had no problems at all where Scenic Tours were concerned, they couldn't have treated us better. Just because one group of people have a difficult experience (if you could call it that), it doesn't mean everybody will. I've heard just as many complaints about APT but it doesn't mean I'm going to rule them out based on the opinions of disgruntled passengers. You can't please everybody on these tours, after all.

We are booked for August 2010. I hope no water/technical problems arise then.

We toured with Scenic in September/October. Due to lack of rain the water levels were low on a small section of the Danube, so we had to change ships (initially we were on the Emerald but changed to the Ruby). This was so well-handled by the company; that day most passengers had scheduled day trips on a coach (out to Salzburg, in our instance) and at the end of the day the coach simply drove to a new dock where our new ship was waiting. Our luggage had all been sent to the new ship and the whole thing was effortless on our part, which is how it should be. Plus, the Ruby was much nicer as it happened, so we were lucky :)

Hello I am making arrangements now for our first river cruise spring 2010. We are considering Romantic Rhine with Globus tours on Tapestry ship Is anyone familiar with this tour or ship? Should I pay the extra for the upper decks? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Archived