Need help on maximizing the Compass rewards!!

Leggo

Hello All

I read the last 20 pages of the NCL sticky and have done some searches but I still need some help in maximizing my old Compass rewards Certificates.

Here are the facts ma'am.:D

I have 4 - 500$ certificates ($2000) that were issued on 11/1/8 and expire on 11/1/9

I have 4 - 100$ one category upgrade certificates expire on 1/31/10

Cruise we would like to take.

10/31 - 11/7 Pride of America Hawaii Cruise. Balcony.

Here are my 7 deadly questions.

1. How do I best maximize my certificates.?

2. I am getting great quotes - $2400+-. I have to put down $500 deposit and when I send in the $2000 in certificates I will have a credit balance. What happens to that Credit balance? I keep seeing varying responses - some say they get an On Board Credit - I called NCL and they say they don't issue credits. What is the real answer?

3. If NCL just keeps my credit balance I should just move up a couple of levels in the category to get over the 2500$ mark - right?

4. With regards to the 4 - $100 certs. One TA said I can only use either the $500 reward certs OR the 4 - $100 cert -- NCL wont let you combine the two. Sure enough on the $500 cert is says - a discount Cert cannot be used with a Upgrade Cert. Then I read that people have been able to combine the two.? What is the real story.

5. With number 4 in mind - should I send the 4 - $500 certs in to NCL and then after they post send in the 4 - $100 certs and see what happens?

6. I called NCL twice and got two different answers to number 4. One CSR repeated what a TA said - only 500$ certs or 100$ upgrades. The other CSR said I could combine the upgrade and the discount certs and that if I book a BA category for instance that my 4 - $100 certs would effectively lower my price down to the lowest balcony category that they have rooms available. Today that was BF. So in effect that would save me about 200$. And they would issue me a credit. This is a totally new one me -- has anyone else heard the same thing.??

7. The big and final question. My 4- $500 certs expire on 11/1/9 --- my cruise departs 10/31 returns on 11/7.

The certs state on the back - " Your sailing must take place before the expiration date of this certificate"

It would be a lot more clearer if they said that your sailing had to DEPART before the expiration date.

I asked the NCL csr and they said I am ok to sail on 10/31 and return on 11/7 with certs that expire on 11/1. So am I ok?

--------------------------

Phewww, that was a lot of questions :o-- thanks for reading this far and I look forward to your replies and expert insight.

Regards,

Leggo

OK, from what I found out in using our certs, you could not combine the $100 with the $500. But you can use all of the $500.00. Since your certs are going to run out, send them the 4 - $500.00. If you end up with a credit, great, if they don't do anything with it and you can't use it, at this point its not going to matter, as you certs will be expired. Send in your certs NOW. When your booking shows your balance, just send them all of the $100.00 certs with an explaination, saying apply to room credit and see what happens. Won't hurt.:)

Hello All

I read the last 20 pages of the NCL sticky and have done some searches but I still need some help in maximizing my old Compass rewards Certificates.

Here are the facts ma'am.:D

I have 4 - 500$ certificates ($2000) that were issued on 11/1/8 and expire on 11/1/9

I have 4 - 100$ one category upgrade certificates expire on 1/31/10

Cruise we would like to take.

10/31 - 11/7 Pride of America Hawaii Cruise. Balcony.

Here are my 7 deadly questions.

1. How do I best maximize my certificates.?

2. I am getting great quotes - $2400+-. I have to put down $500 deposit and when I send in the $2000 in certificates I will have a credit balance. What happens to that Credit balance? I keep seeing varying responses - some say they get an On Board Credit - I called NCL and they say they don't issue credits. What is the real answer?

I can tell you from the three sailing where we used Compass Rewards that both answers are actually correct. Let me explain it this way. If your cruise cost a total of $2400.00 and you put down a $500.00 deposit and if you sent in $2000.00 in Compass Rewards Certs, then you would get a $100.00 credit issued back to your credit card. The CR Certs do not have a cash value, however we have always gotten a refund on any actual "overpayment" we have made. If your cruise cost a total of $2400.00 and you place a $500.00 deposit and you send in $2500.00 in certs, then you will only be refunded your $500.00 deposit and you would lose $100.00 of the value of the certs. (Total you have "paid" would be $500.00 cash and $2500.00 in certs for a total of $2900.00 so they would refund any cash overage you paid). Hope that makes sense what I am saying here.

3. If NCL just keeps my credit balance I should just move up a couple of levels in the category to get over the 2500$ mark - right?

It would depend on how much more you are talking, but I can tell you I would not want any of the "free" money to go to waste.

4. With regards to the 4 - $100 certs. One TA said I can only use either the $500 reward certs OR the 4 - $100 cert -- NCL wont let you combine the two. Sure enough on the $500 cert is says - a discount Cert cannot be used with a Upgrade Cert. Then I read that people have been able to combine the two.? What is the real story.

I have never in all my years of reading CC read where someone was actually able to combine the two. Just being honest here, but your $100.00 certs you might as well wallpaper a bathroom with. They are pretty much worthless.

5. With number 4 in mind - should I send the 4 - $500 certs in to NCL and then after they post send in the 4 - $100 certs and see what happens?

6. I called NCL twice and got two different answers to number 4. One CSR repeated what a TA said - only 500$ certs or 100$ upgrades. The other CSR said I could combine the upgrade and the discount certs and that if I book a BA category for instance that my 4 - $100 certs would effectively lower my price down to the lowest balcony category that they have rooms available. Today that was BF. So in effect that would save me about 200$. And they would issue me a credit. This is a totally new one me -- has anyone else heard the same thing.??

7. The big and final question. My 4- $500 certs expire on 11/1/9 --- my cruise departs 10/31 returns on 11/7.

The certs state on the back - " Your sailing must take place before the expiration date of this certificate"

It would be a lot more clearer if they said that your sailing had to DEPART before the expiration date.

I asked the NCL csr and they said I am ok to sail on 10/31 and return on 11/7 with certs that expire on 11/1. So am I ok?

My understanding is that BoA changed that rule and the certs are good to be applied to a cruise's cost within one year, however the cruise could be within the next 2.5 years. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong about that.

--------------------------

Phewww, that was a lot of questions :o-- thanks for reading this far and I look forward to your replies and expert insight.

Regards,

Leggo

Hope you have a great cruise.

Hello All

The big and final question. My 4- $500 certs expire on 11/1/9 --- my cruise departs 10/31 returns on 11/7.

Common sense would dictate that your sailing is taking place as the ship leaves the harbor (in your case 10/31). Of course in corporate america very little common sense applies. :D

Archived