Vegetarian fare on PG

new_cruiser

I would like to give my son and his bride a cruise for their honeymoon and the PG in Tahiti seems just about perfect except for one concern. He is a vegetarian - no meat and no fish. He does eat eggs and cheese (as long as it doesn't have animal rennet). I was just on the Wind Surf - I loved the cruise but I noticed they only partly accomodate vegetarians. At dinner there is always a vegetarian entree but they don't mark the dishes in other courses that are vegetarian and the waiter often wasn't sure about which soups had a meat base. The vegetarian in our group was always able to get a good dinner but it took more work than it should have.

Does RSSC and the PG in particular do a better job here or do we need to stick with one of the larger ship lines get reasonable vegetarian options?

I don't think you should hesitate to give this wonderful gift to your son and his bride just because he has dietery concerns. Just make sure that your son mentions on his pre cruise information forms that he is a vegetarian and that he is specific about what he eats and does not eat. I am a vegetarian too, although I do eat seafood. I found plenty to eat and there was always a vegetarian item listed daily on the menus. As far as the waiter not knowing what is a meat based soup or sauce, you could always ask him to go ask the chef. As long as you are good natured and don't mind the wait I am sure any questions and concerns would be answered. I think it would be very unreasonable to expect all aspects of the menu to be listed as to whether or not they are vegan or not and for the waiters to know. Use a little patience and a smile and I'm sure the waiter would not hesitate to find out for you. Also, when I first embarked the P.G. there was a note already waiting in my cabin asking me to go to the dining room that day to discuss my dietery needs with the head chef. They will go out of their way to accomodate your son so please have no fear. What a wonderful gift! They are going to have the time of their lives.

Pat

We were on the Mariner, not the PG, and my wife keeps 'basically' Kosher - so she doesn't eat any meat dishes, but she does eat fish. NO Problem - just ask. They were prepared to give her kosher TV dinners - which we rejected. Soup bases were quickly ascertained, and there were veg items on every menu. That's a very nice wedding present!

Archived