Leaving today but have a question about dancing

kooljamming

We sail Princess specifically because they have more dance venues than the other lines. The disco seems to attract the 20 -30 year old. We are very young-acting early 60s. There is always a place on the ship where there is a band or DJ playing music we can dance to - oldies, disco, Latin.

Once the band or DJ sees what type of music gets people on the dance floor, they will continue to play that type. There usually is a 50s or 70s themed night with a dance contest - disco, swing, twist, etc.

We sail Princess specifically because they have more dance venues than the other lines. The disco seems to attract the 20 -30 year old. We are very young-acting early 60s. There is always a place on the ship where there is a band or DJ playing music we can dance to - oldies, disco, Latin.

Once the band or DJ sees what type of music gets people on the dance floor, they will continue to play that type. There usually is a 50s or 70s themed night with a dance contest - disco, swing, twist, etc.

Would this be on the Crown as well?

We are on Sahhire Princess and had a blast. The disco had 70's night and Wow! I love dancing but there was so much, some nights I had to pass:D

I was up until 1 am, but doing that a few times can take its toll:eek:

Is there much nightlife or dancing?

Do they have the theme night in the disco or the great band in the Wheelhouse bar.

I see in another post that you will be on the Golden to Alaska. I was just on the Star last week, and guess that the Golden would be similar. There were a few theme nights - a Country/Western night, "Dancing through the Decades" night, and Ballroom Blitz. Those were all held in the Explorers Lounge. There was usually a band in the Wheelhouse too, but it wasn't high-energy dance music. Supposedly there was late night dancing up in Skywalkers after 10 PM. We went up once shortly after 10 and the place was nearly empty. Don't know if the action picked up later.

We found that we often wanted to get to bed early and didn't stay up for much night life. We had some very early mornings... cruising Tracy Arm 6 - 10 AM, and a 7:30 AM excursion in Skagway. I am a night owl at home, but we were in bed by 10 or 11 most nights in Alaska.

Last week on the Island we danced to the live band in the Wheelhouse bar, mainly because as much as anything it was a more adult crowd where Explorers lounge seemed to be full of older teens or at least a much younger audience.

I agree that the crowds in Alaska certainly were pretty quiet after the 10pm shows. I don't think we saw very many people out after midnight on any given night during the trip.

One of the amazing things to me is how the cruise demongraphics vary from week to week. Sometimes the dance venues are full and hopping, other times they are dead very early. A lot of it is luck of the draw, I guess. I do think that, to some extent, if you start the dancing then others will join in. Kool, I hope your week on the Golden meets your expectations.

Both my DH and I like to dance. We are in our 50's, but still think we're 25!! We have enjoyed the theme nights they have in Explorer's and/or Club Fusion. However, most of these are done by 11:00. So, up to Skywalker's we go. I always find that the DJ just has to play rap or hip-hop, which in my mind is not good dance music. We have gone to Skywalker's for disco night and of course the DJ plays great dance music. The dance floor is packed! After about 30-45 minutes of this, he then moves back to his rap and hip-hop. The dance floor empties. Wouldn't that tell you something right there? We have experienced this on almost every cruise we've been on. We love sailing with Princess, but this is one of my biggest complaints. Me, as well as others have mentioned this to the DJ, and to no avail. He plays what HE likes. And yes, I have stated this on the comment card.

I'm not one to complain about much. I'm pretty much laid back and don't let little things bother me. Hey, I'm on vacation. I'm not working, cooking, cleaning, etc. But, I do love to dance. So, this is just one of those pet peeves with me.

So, has anyone had the same experience?

Karen

We've had exactly the same experience as you... on lines like RCL, Celebrity and HAL: it's truly amazing that the people who decide on the dance music will not take a "hint" that when the floor fills up with dancers, it's obviously good. Instead, they frequently go on to play whatever they want, even when the floor empties.

We shoudl really make our voices heard!

Both my DH and I like to dance. We are in our 50's, but still think we're 25!! We have enjoyed the theme nights they have in Explorer's and/or Club Fusion. However, most of these are done by 11:00. So, up to Skywalker's we go. I always find that the DJ just has to play rap or hip-hop, which in my mind is not good dance music. We have gone to Skywalker's for disco night and of course the DJ plays great dance music. The dance floor is packed! After about 30-45 minutes of this, he then moves back to his rap and hip-hop. The dance floor empties. Wouldn't that tell you something right there? We have experienced this on almost every cruise we've been on. We love sailing with Princess, but this is one of my biggest complaints. Me, as well as others have mentioned this to the DJ, and to no avail. He plays what HE likes. And yes, I have stated this on the comment card.

I'm not one to complain about much. I'm pretty much laid back and don't let little things bother me. Hey, I'm on vacation. I'm not working, cooking, cleaning, etc. But, I do love to dance. So, this is just one of those pet peeves with me.

So, has anyone had the same experience?

Karen

It seems that DJ's the world over are obsessed with proving to everyone that they are "hip" and up-to-date with all the latest music.

Very few I know have ever linked the music they play to the activity on the dance floor.

Hi all. Good thread. As a working (sometimes too much) DJ of more than 15 years, please don't lump us all together. There are still those of us out there that play the hits (whatever they may be) and read the crowd and take requests. A good DJ can mix all this together and keep 90% of the folks happy. Remember, you can't please everyone. That said, its tough being a DJ and going to Skywalkers and having to hear some of the sets. Kinda like a foodie critiquing the chefs.

Like any profession some DJs are better than others.

That said, be careful about "letting yourselves be heard" because if the DJed plays only to whatever predominant crowd is in the club, you may occasionally find yourselves "outnumbered" and your music tastes might not be addressed. Hopefully, by spreading around the genres a DJ can assure that everyone gets a taste.

There's more than 70 years (maybe more) of good music out there. And there's always someone who likes it. I hope this makes some sense.

We've had exactly the same experience as you... on lines like RCL, Celebrity and HAL: it's truly amazing that the people who decide on the dance music will not take a "hint" that when the floor fills up with dancers, it's obviously good. Instead, they frequently go on to play whatever they want, even when the floor empties.

We shoudl really make our voices heard!

Yes, we have the same experience, over and over. We always go to Skywalkers after the other venues close down and stay until we can't stand it any longer. On the Ruby in April, you could request music from the DJ. Even after our request (which was rock'N rock N roll) he somehow NEVER got around to playing our music. After 1 AM, they play nothing but hip-hop no matter whether people are dancing and no matter what the demographics are. Maybe they think they sell more alcohol with rap and hip-hop? No, not if I go to my cabin along with many others!!

Archived