Grand Turk - Safety

Beckyv

Grand Turk is a pretty safe island, I think you will kind of be able to see where you might not want to go. Not sure you will find much to explore though...after the last hurricane they got hit pretty hard. Some of the smaller islands offer better exploration than Grand Turk. I would maybe rethink the golf carts and look at the dune buggy tour...more adventure and you will be able to go more offroad.

Grand Turk is a pretty safe island, I think you will kind of be able to see where you might not want to go. Not sure you will find much to explore though...after the last hurricane they got hit pretty hard. Some of the smaller islands offer better exploration than Grand Turk. I would maybe rethink the golf carts and look at the dune buggy tour...more adventure and you will be able to go more offroad.

We caught up with some people on the dune buggy tour while we were on our golf carts. They wished they had not taken it. They said it was not worth the cost, and they did many of the same things we did..light house and governor's beach. The difference is, we were able to do it all at our own pace. Although there is not a lot to see, we still enjoyed exploring.

See my review under Pride..litttle by little, where I go in to detail on Grand Turk, and feel free to e-mail with questions.

We met up with some people on the dune buggy tour while we were on the golf carts. They wished they had not done it, as it was more expensive and they were going to pretty much some of the same places we were..light house and governor's beach etc. The one exception was that we were able to do it at our own pace. Althought there was not a lot to see, we still enjoyed exploring. I would be happy to answer questions.

We rented golf carts and scooters (11 of us) while in Grand Turk and we had a blast! The local people were very friendly and we didn't have any issues as far as safety! As the other poster stated the dune buggies did pretty much the same thing we did! Have fun!

The streets are very safe and the native people are very courtious to the golf carts. We rented the carts in May, but there is not much to see on the island. Do yourself a favor and stay in the cruise ship port. We tried to see the town and in 3 attemps could not find it:confused::confused::confused: until we found out we passed right by it, nothing at all to see.

Just an FYI...I was thinking about doing the same thing until I read that it cost someone $17 to fill the gas tank after their island exploration. Between the $80 rental and the $17 gas bill...I changed my mind.

Have a great time:)

We rented the golf carts last year....3 carts....3 families. We had an awesome time. We stopped at Governer's Beach for a few hours, swam and snorkeled. Then we spend the rest of the time exploring the island. The only thing that got me nervous were the dogs that roamed around....I love dogs...but these did not look at all friendly.

We also rented a golf cart last year, and had a blast. We drove all over the island without any problems. The people were very friendly and helpful. We went into a warehouse type store (a mini-Sam's-very expensive) to use their bathroom as we found very few public restrooms. We went into residential areas to see their homes, schools and parks. We did not have any problems at all, and would rent the golf carts again if we went back.

Just an FYI...I was thinking about doing the same thing until I read that it cost someone $17 to fill the gas tank after their island exploration. Between the $80 rental and the $17 gas bill...I changed my mind.

Have a great time:)

When we rented in July we were given the cart with 1/4 tank of gas and told where to stop if we thought we would need more. We had plenty of gas for the day and didn't need to add any, so no additional charge for us. (We were not required to add it if we didn't need it). We did spend some time at the museum, the Bohio resort, the Lighthouse, Jack's, etc. so we weren't driving around the whole time, but we covered the island pretty well! (gas was $4.95 at the station we passed)

Archived