Veendam Alaska - Anyone else sick?

Gypsy-Bear

My parents were on the Veendam for 14 days July 26-August 10, for the last week of their cruise the ship was in code red due to a stomach virus. My mother was lucky and did not catch it but my father....not so lucky. He was very sick the last two days and had to be rushed to the hospital on Tuesday morning with complete Kidney failure. He is still in hospital and on dialysis. They say this was caused from complete dehydration. He is 69 years old. The reason I am posting this it to advise people that if they get sick with a virus to make sure they drink lots and lots of water especially if you are over 50 yrs old. Also, my mother insists that she didn't get sick because she washed her hands frequently and didn't use the elevator. If I can help prevent even one person from getting an illness like this from this post then it will be worth it.

Other than the illness my parents say that this was one of the best cruises they have been on and they have been on a lot of cruises it is just unfortunate that it had to end this way.

Safe and Healthy Cruising everyone!!

Archived