Compare HAL to Cunard

My wife & I are considering taking the Veendam to Bermuda next year (love Bermuda, been there many times). She has never been aboard HAL and I took one cruise on the Statendam back in the early 1970s. We have cruised on QE2 several times as well as once on QM2. We would like to know your thoughts on how HAL compares to Cunard. Thanks much.

Chances are that I was on the same Statendam - my trip was from Southampton to NYC in January, 1965 in seas so rough the voyage took a day longer than planned. I was 12 and didn't mind at all.

The QM2 is clearly one-of-a-kind for today's passenger ships and would not be mistaken for any other on any line. We were on a 10 day Caribbean voyage in early 2008 and look forward to another trip sometime in the future.

We took our first HAL trip a year ago on the Ryndam and have another planned this December on the Zuiderdam.

I enjoy both lines because, to me, they both celebrate the ships and the sea and don't present themselves as floating amusement parks and entertainment centres.

Service on both lines is very good with HAL probably friendlier with smiling crew members. Cunard service is more reserved and this also suits me just fine.

Food is always personal and subjective; I found them overall to be similar. The Golden Lion Pub on QM2 is a great setting for pub-style food and ocean viewing; the Terrace Grill on HAL makes excellent burgers. The Lido Buffet on HAL, I found, was better organized than King's Court on QM2.

Passengers on both lines, on our cruises, were well mannered and interested in their travels, not a big party.

If you choose HAL, you won't get the QM2 but you will know you are on a ship.

Regards

I found Cunard to be more formal, and there is nothing on HAL to compare with the Grills. But I agree that sertvice and food were very similar. HAL also had enrichment lecturers, Q&A sessions with the captain...But that may because Capt. van der Loo was very personable. I understand he actually sang in the piano bar one night. HAL has far fewer formal nights. EM

Just an observation made in the airport........ Noordam (and a Carnival ship and a Celebrity ship, maybe NCL) docked at the same time as the Cunard ship and we all arrived at the airport from the several ships. IMO, Cunard passengers "looked" older and better dressed...blazers and jackets in FLL. Most of the other ships passengers looked uniformly on vacation-jeans, tshirts with islandl ogos, baseball caps, flipflops. We commented on this at the time and thought maybe they had a lot of European passengers on board since there was such a contrast to the very relaxed-looking group filling the airport lounge!

We sailed the QM2 in January and found the food to be equal. The service also was equal or just a tad better on our last HA cruise last year. The entertainment was good on both but I beleive the QM2 entertainment was more geared to an older clientelle. Lots of painists.

The captain was great, everyone looked forward to his daily report for the information and the stories.

We found the main difference was that the QM2 was much more formal and had the best dance floor on any of the 20 ships we have been on.

Any one you choose would be a good choice.

The biggest difference between HAL and Cunard is where you eat; on Cunard it is based on the cabin you have booked whether it is Princess Grille, Queens Grille or Britannia. HAL ships have one main dining room and places like Pinnacle are extra fare, but open to all with a reservation. Even on Caribbean cruises, I am aware of what I call class distinction on Cunard.:)

Archived