Mt Vesuvius Hiking Tour

E201

Hi all, sorry if this question has already been asked but has anyone done the Mt Vesuvius Hiking Tour? If so any tips, pictures? How easy/hard it was?

We are looking to do this tour when we go on Solstice later this year.

Thanks E201 Gem :)

I hiked it in High School. They said that it might be moderate intensity, but I found it quite easy. We did stop often for short breaks, but it was fun!

The air is thin up there, so just take it easy on yourself. :) We noticed people of all ages also walking up.

My husband (when 55, but he's a hiker) did it two years ago on our Med cruise. He says it ranks as moderate. Short but steep. Most people can do it. Lots of vendors along part of the trail and at the top. If you plan it right, you can also get somebody to take you to the very top of the caldera. It requires a guide that you get at the top of the trail. The view is great all the way around. He says it was worth it.

I did this trip with my kids off a Princess ship (Golden) with an afternoon visit to Pompeii. I thought it was a terrific combo and a different view and experience.

One is bused about 3/4 of the way up the mountain. The trail is volcanic gravel. It is easily hiked if you are not impaired. As others post, there are vendors selling mountain oriented souvenirs (volcanic rock and mineral sets, etc.) lower down. My kids retained this as a particularly memorable experience - I agree.

BUT - the Mountain is overdue to ERUPT!! So - look out and hike quick!:D

I did this excursion with my DH, DS and some younger folks. We're walkers half and whole marathons, we walk fast, this is not what you want to do when hiking Mt Vesuvius. Go slow and take small steps and you will be fine, just as you're saying, "man when will this end" it's over. Very short but steep, we're in our early 50's. It was great I'm glad our daughter badgered us into it. We saw people in their 70's doing it, have fun!

Thanks everyone, we are mid to late 20's so should be OK then, we are not hikers but wanted to try something different. You have sold it to me, I will get this tour booked.

Cant wait!

Thanks E201 Gem :)

Archived