Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Wife, two kids and I are looking to spend a couple of days post cruise in FLL. Found a CC message board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197900&page=4) that will allow us to use a discount. We were thinking about the Sheraton Beach Hotel, because of the price. Can you tell me if the are any budget friendly places to eat close? I've looking at Google Earth and there doesn't seem like much.

We just got back from the Sheraton Beach Hotel where we stayed on points. There is the Bahia Cabana across the street at the marina. The burgers there are 1/2 the price than the Sheraton. Sort of a divey atmosphere, but the food was decent and the staff very friendly. The Sheraton is very limited food wise and is ridiculously expensive. The Clipper Diner was open only at night. The bar/restaurant at the pool has a very small menu. There is a coffee bar that sells sodas, snacks and sandwiches which are not "budget" friendly.

We stayed in the Beach Tower which is the building closest to the pool/beach. The housekeeping service was definitely lacking. Left over soda bottle in the garbage when we arrived. The cream for the in room coffee was curdled. The subsquent creamers were from a completely different dairy.... Dirty glasses were not taken away, the room was not vacumed on another day, no stir sticks for the coffee one day, ice machines not working. I'm not bashing the hotel, just telling you what we experienced. Frankly we've not seen such in consistent service. At the end of the day we stayed for free, had we paid and had the same experience we surely would have addressed some of our concerns with the hotel staff.

I don't know when you are going - but we saw all of 3 children at the hotel when we were there. They do supply a boat load of buckets and shovels for kids on the beach which is a nice touch.

I'm sure that you could find a nicer hotel through on line discount sites and from all the great info provided on here by folks like Royalcruz, Blue Heron and many others.

Wife, two kids and I are looking to spend a couple of days post cruise in FLL. Found a CC message board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197900&page=4) that will allow us to use a discount. We were thinking about the Sheraton Beach Hotel, because of the price. Can you tell me if the are any budget friendly places to eat close? I've looking at Google Earth and there doesn't seem like much.

Bahia Cabana restaurant is a good choice. Oasis is also inexpensive and has swings for tables but it is a few blocks north.

Edited by royalcruz

I found a *** hotel near Port Everglades that I believe is the Hyatt Place for $82. Gets high ratings. Checked Hotels.com and it lists HP as 3*. Any other clues before I book? Thanks very much

According to betterbidding, Hyatt Place is the only 3* in that zone currently.

Just booked Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort for 3 nights in Nov. There are 6 ladies in our group and we got a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom. Is there anything you can tell us about the resort or the location - both good or bad.? We will be renting a car, so getting around won't be an issue. Thanks again for all your input.

Cindy

We're considering the Extended Stay America on SE 17th St. Causeway for before our January cruise.

Are there any burger places (like 5 Guys) or pizza places nearby or casual restaurants (like TGI Fridays or Chili's)? How far away is Einstein Bagels?

Also, does anyone know if they have a shuttle that goes to the cruise port?

We're considering the Extended Stay America on SE 17th St. Causeway for before our January cruise.

Are there any burger places (like 5 Guys) or pizza places nearby or casual restaurants (like TGI Fridays or Chili's)? How far away is Einstein Bagels?

5 Guys is in http://www.theharborshops.com

5Guys

Dough Boys

Duffy's Sports Grill

Quarterdeck

Bravo Italiano

Moe's Southwestern

Einsteins is across the street on the same block.

Just booked Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort for 3 nights in Nov. There are 6 ladies in our group and we got a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom. Is there anything you can tell us about the resort or the location - both good or bad.? We will be renting a car, so getting around won't be an issue. Thanks again for all your input.

Cindy

It is a block from the beach. Primante's Pizza, Parrot Lounge and Blue Fish Cafe are a few blocks north. If you want upscale trendy dining, Trina is a few blocks south. Galleria Mall is less than a mile away.

We are looking for something on June 20-22. Kids have never been to the beach and we are looking for cheaper/quicker places to eat. Thanks, might have to look at something on up the beach.

Bubba Gumps, Oasis, and Quarterdeck are family friendly. Marriott Courtyard Hotel is near all of them.

It is a block from the beach. Primante's Pizza, Parrot Lounge and Blue Fish Cafe are a few blocks north. If you want upscale trendy dining, Trina is a few blocks south. Galleria Mall is less than a mile away.

As always Royalcruz, thanks for your replies. :D

We are 6 adults arriving in FLL at 730 on July 9. We are either staying at the Holiday Inn Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport or my brothers in Hollywood off of Sheridan Ave. We are leaving from Port of Miami on Sunday and there will be 7 of us then...HELP!

I need to get to Hollywood from FLL with 6 ppl, I do not really need transportation in Hollywood as 2 of us will be staying at the hotel and the rest at my brothers. I need to get from Hollywood to POM with 7 ppl. On the 18th, I need to get back from POM to Hollywood and then to there airport after lunch (around 230pm).

Any suggestions on the cheapest way to go here? Rent a car, a service? One way rental suggestions?? The hotel does not have a shuttle (presumabley because of the distance from the airport) I am fairly familiar with the area, so I knew that from the start!

Thanks for any help!!

Katie

We are 6 adults arriving in FLL at 730 on July 9. We are either staying at the Holiday Inn Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport or my brothers in Hollywood off of Sheridan Ave. We are leaving from Port of Miami on Sunday and there will be 7 of us then...HELP!

I need to get to Hollywood from FLL with 6 ppl, I do not really need transportation in Hollywood as 2 of us will be staying at the hotel and the rest at my brothers. I need to get from Hollywood to POM with 7 ppl. On the 18th, I need to get back from POM to Hollywood and then to there airport after lunch (around 230pm).

Any suggestions on the cheapest way to go here? Rent a car, a service? One way rental suggestions?? The hotel does not have a shuttle (presumabley because of the distance from the airport) I am fairly familiar with the area, so I knew that from the start!

Thanks for any help!!

Katie

SAS transportation does go to Port of Miami. They do not pick up at private homes but if you can get a ride to FLL airport they will do it for $15 pp. If you are flying back from FLL they can take you from POM to FLL but not to MIA airport. You will need to make a reservation in advance as they book up. For this many people it might be cheaper to rent a van.

We will be driving to Ft Lauderdale in Feb and was wondering what is your opinion of the Park & Go for the cruise for $12.00 a day or can we just park at the airport Park & Go for $4.99 a day and catch a taxi to the Pier?

Would you know the approx cost of a taxi for the airport Park & Go to the Pier?

Thanks for all your help & advise it has been great.

We will be driving to Ft Lauderdale in Feb and was wondering what is your opinion of the Park & Go for the cruise for $12.00 a day or can we just park at the airport Park & Go for $4.99 a day and catch a taxi to the Pier?

Would you know the approx cost of a taxi for the airport Park & Go to the Pier?

Thanks for all your help & advise it has been great.

I think the Park & Go lot is the same for both the airport and the cruise. It was a very large lot---. I suppose you could park there and take a shuttle back to the airport, and then take a taxi to the port. Then, at the end of the cruise, find a taxi to take you back to the airport and then find the shuttle to take you to the Park & Go lot. There are no taxis near the Park & Go lot.

It's in an out-of-the-way commercial area.

When we used the Lot, we were told where to park in the cruise parking area; the transport bus was right there, driver helped us to load our luggage, and took us to the terminal. When we departed the ship the transport bus was right outside, loaded us again, and brought us right to our car. it was worth $12.99 per day!!!! You can also get a senior discount or a AAA discount.

If you use the lot, bring a bunch of bananas and stop by the fence next to the entrance. There's a big family of Monkeys that live in the trees next to the lot. They will come down to the fence for food-----

Katron

Thank you for the information. We may just do the lot as we are

driving from Ocala and don't need a hotel for the night before our cruise.

We haven't been able to find a hotel that has a shuttle to the pier and is reasonable for an overnight stay where we can leave our car.

Check out Cambria Suites. www dot cambriasuitesfortlauderdale dot com

I got a price of $89. per night. This includes up to 14 day free parking, shuttle to the port and back. It does not include breakfast. I got this price at www dot 123stay dot com I have noticed when you go to this site the first time gives you the lowest price. Each time I go back even within minutes the price goes up. I checked with Cambria before I booked to be sure the site is legit. They said it is and they can not match that price. you have to book through 123stay to get it. We're looking forward to staying there in Dec.

JoAnn

I just realized that this resort is actually a few blocks further north than I realized, so Primante's, Parrot, and Blue Fish are actually just east of the resort. The area looks a little rough because there are a few tattoo parlors on the block, but it's really safe.

I got a price of $89. per night. This includes up to 14 day free parking, shuttle to the port and back. It does not include breakfast. I got this price at www dot 123stay dot com I have noticed when you go to this site the first time gives you the lowest price. Each time I go back even within minutes the price goes up. I checked with Cambria before I booked to be sure the site is legit. They said it is and they can not match that price. you have to book through 123stay to get it. We're looking forward to staying there in Dec.

JoAnn

I have found that a couple of the hotels will charge for the parking if you don't book directly with the hotel, which of course the price is higher.

I will check with the hotel first but this does sound like a good deal and I will difinetly check it out.

JoAnn

Thanks for the information, the hotel looks great, we booked it for

Feb 6/2011 straight through there web site using AAA and got it for

the $89.10 price. Great rate considering all they have to offer.

Have a nice stay and let us know what you think of the hotel when you return.

Chris

I just realized that this resort is actually a few blocks further north than I realized, so Primante's, Parrot, and Blue Fish are actually just east of the resort. The area looks a little rough because there are a few tattoo parlors on the block, but it's really safe.

Thanks for that info Royalcruz. I had seen the tatoo parlors on google map, but I'm glad you've said the area is safe. (I joked with my friend that I was going to get a tatoo for my 50th birthday - maybe not so much of a joke now!!!) :p I wonder what DH will say if I come back from a vacation with a tatoo??? :confused:

You're very welcome. I just hope it lives up to all of our expectations. The building is new, I think it's only been open about 6 months. I will come back and update y'all when we get home.

I was told that the parking is definitely free, even booking with this booking site.

You're very welcome. I just hope it lives up to all of our expectations. The building is new, I think it's only been open about 6 months. I will come back and update y'all when we get home.

I was told that the parking is definitely free, even booking with this booking site.

Thanks again and keep in touch