Excursions with Small Children

PintSizedMommy

My family, along with a few friends, will be cruising on NCL's Pearl next May. Among us will be my son, who will be 2.5 at that time, and my 3.5 year old godson. Has anyone done any excursions with small children? Any suggestions on good/bad ones? We'll be cruising out of Seattle and visiting Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Just got back from RCI cruise with 5 year old and 3 year old. In Juneau, we did the Tram with the kids and they really enjoyed it. Free for 5 and unders. Up top, there's a couple of things to do that our kids liked - a bald eagle display, a short movie and a "nature center" with a few displays. In Skagway, the train is fun for kids, although pricey (though kids are half price) and long enough that younger ones will get bored before it's over. "Half-half" probably work better with kids (i.e. take the train one way and bus/van the other). Unfortunately, you won't be in Skagway the right time of year to see it, but the highlight for our kids was watching the salmon swimming up the small creek in the park at the south edge of downtown.

Overall, with this unpredictable age group, you may want to consider short tours, if you take any, an hour or so. Or consider stuff you can easily "exit", allows down time, distractions etc. Walking tours of the ports work well.

I'd avoid anything costly or confined for a length of time.

Many of the tours have a minimum age requirement. You might not have many choices.

The ships' child care won't take children who are still in diapers. You need to plan activities that you can do with such young folks. I've had good luck with the fish hatcheries. All those fun fish to watch.

Archived