Portland to Kennebunkport and back

tuffy0317

We are in docked in Portland from 10am-7pm on a RCL cruise in August. My husband would like to explore Kennebunkport on our own, rather than part of a tour. There don't seem to be many good excursions through RCL that allow us to do that - just one that drives you there, drops you off for an hour and drives you back. We would ideally like more than an hour to explore.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get there and back?

Thanks!

car rental

this was posted by CC member SOPOME - Enterprise Car Rental is really your only option for Portland. They have a downtown Portland location (not at the terminal, but close by -- and they may do pick up / drop off...) The other companies are only at the airport. - Link to thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227519

SBtS

Thanks... I'm a little hesitant to rent a car b/c I've heard horror stories of people running into traffic, almost missing the boat, etc. but that might be the only option for here.

Guess I will have to do some research on distances, etc.

You've got plenty of time to explore Kennebunk / Kennebunkport with that time frame. On a normal traffic day it would take you 1/2 hour to drive from Portland to Kennebunk. Even if you double that for heavy traffic you still will be fine. These times are based on taking the Maine Turnpike (toll road), vs coastal Rt 1 which will be significantly slower. I would recommend heading back by 4pm to avoid tourist AND commuter traffic. That should give you extra time to get a bite to eat and/or explore the Old Port area in Portland before getting back on the ship. Have a great trip!

You've got plenty of time to explore Kennebunk / Kennebunkport with that time frame. On a normal traffic day it would take you 1/2 hour to drive from Portland to Kennebunk. Even if you double that for heavy traffic you still will be fine. These times are based on taking the Maine Turnpike (toll road), vs coastal Rt 1 which will be significantly slower. I would recommend heading back by 4pm to avoid tourist AND commuter traffic. That should give you extra time to get a bite to eat and/or explore the Old Port area in Portland before getting back on the ship. Have a great trip!

Thanks SOPOME - this is very helpful and reassuring. Can I assume this means you've been before or you're a local? Any suggestions on things not to miss?

Yes, I've lived in the Portland area 50+ years so know the ups and downs of traffic pretty well. I didn't factor in time to pick up and drop off the car in my estimates earlier, so you will have to factor that in of course. I think the big tourist draw for Kennebunkport is the Bush compound. If that is what you want to see keep in mind that you can't get very close. Dock Square is the center of town with small shops and restaurants -- very quaint. If you tell me what interests you about this location I will be glad to give you some other suggestions!

Yes, I've lived in the Portland area 50+ years so know the ups and downs of traffic pretty well. I didn't factor in time to pick up and drop off the car in my estimates earlier, so you will have to factor that in of course. I think the big tourist draw for Kennebunkport is the Bush compound. If that is what you want to see keep in mind that you can't get very close. Dock Square is the center of town with small shops and restaurants -- very quaint. If you tell me what interests you about this location I will be glad to give you some other suggestions!

Thanks so much - I really appreciate the help!

My husband is drawn by the Bush compound, which I've gone blue in the face telling him "It's not like 41 is going to be walking around outside!"

I'm a travel photographer and love quaint towns and Nantucket/coastal architecture. If there are any other quaint towns between Portland and Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, please suggest them!

Conversely, if there's somewhere within Portland (especially walking distance - we're big walkers) that has that "small town" feel, I'm definitely open to not leaving the area.

Here's a picture of the Bush Compound that I just grabbed off the internet: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2178126580067443763XDdVsn

That's exactly what you'll see (with a telephoto lens), and you won't get any closer. If you are lucky and they are in town you might see his boat out on the water. I think the Arundel Country Club is where they play golf, but I doubt if you'll have time to go that route!

In fact if they are in town, all the merchants at Dock Square will know it!

Truthfully for what you want, I think the hour stop with the excursion might be plenty. There are a couple of well known historic houses on the road from Kennebunk to Kennebunkport. Here's one:

http://rogershepherd.com/WIW/solution11b/cake.html

If that is something you want to see maybe the bus driver would stop for photos??

Have you researched the Old Port area of Portland? The architecture is amazing and the photo opportunities are endless. It's will be more buildings and (working) waterfront photo opportunities, vs quaint little village houses, for instance. The Portland peninsula is positioned between the Eastern and Western Promenades, with both having individual architectural elements that might interest you. The Old Port and Eastern Prom you can easily walk to from the ship -- the Western Prom will be more of a hike, but possible if you are adventurous! (Maybe consider a taxi to take you and walk back...)

Here are some Old Port photos I just quickly found:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2044963670027832323rLiWJX

If there are any tours taking you by boat into Casco Bay, that might be something to consider. There are several small islands around Casco Bay, and a couple of close by lighthouses. There will be many excellent photo opportunities from those vantages as well!

Let me know if I can help further! :)

Sopome -- good information here! As I read about your review on a Kennebunkport tour and not being able to see Bush compound closely - was wondering if the ship's tour that includes a boat ride near the compound would get you any closer? Our ship offers two tours - one land - one land & sea. The 2nd one is actually better time for us so was considering that. What is your opinion?:confused:

I have not been on the water around the Bush compound, so I can't speak to your question from personal experience. If the family is not in Kennebunkport when you are there I would guess that you might be able to get a bit closer. If they are there, then I would expect secret service or Coast Guard patroling the waters, with tourists not getting close at all!

• 3 weeks later...
We are in docked in Portland from 10am-7pm on a RCL cruise in August. My husband would like to explore Kennebunkport on our own, rather than part of a tour. There don't seem to be many good excursions through RCL that allow us to do that - just one that drives you there, drops you off for an hour and drives you back. We would ideally like more than an hour to explore.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get there and back?

Thanks!

Hi,

We are going to take the Royal tour ( PW05 6 hrs ) $59 pp while we are on the Explorer of the Seas at the end of Sept. The description of the tour says approximately 1.75 hrs will be spent at Dock St. Sq. even having enough time for a quick lunch or snack not included in the price of the tour.

We generally don't take ship excursions but this one seemed to have more bang for the buck. The Portland Trolley tour was $18 for 90 min. & taking the ships tour we get to see a lot more. After reading the other comments/suggestions I know that we are making the right decision.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Happy crusing to all.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

• 4 weeks later...

I read in another thread that Enterprise is really the only close by car rental option for Portland. Does anyone know the address or location of their office near the pier?

Archived