Money in Merida?

deltahog

If you go into Merida for sight-seeing, I assume you need to change dollars to pesos? What about the $2 bus to and from Merida -- dollars or pesos? What about the flea market area in Merida?

If you need to change to pesos, best place to do it? Perhaps just hit an ATM and draw out some pesos?

• 2 weeks later...
If you go into Merida for sight-seeing, I assume you need to change dollars to pesos? What about the $2 bus to and from Merida -- dollars or pesos? What about the flea market area in Merida?

If you need to change to pesos, best place to do it? Perhaps just hit an ATM and draw out some pesos?

Hi! Last April I sailed on the Triumph and while in Progresso, my friend and I went to Merida.

For the bus ride, they will accept either dollars or pesos.

For the main areas,esp in the square, dollars were accepted. We met a collage student who took us to areas where it was locals. While some of the merchants accepted dollars, the pesos were taken at a better rate.

I hope this helps!

As I recall, Diva had a great day in Merida. I've spent considerable time in Merida and the Yucatan state. Generally, day-trippers don't need to convert dollars for pesos. A slight advantage in prices using pesos.

You can use pesos or dollars everywhere. Merida is quite famous for Europeans as well so they are used to foreign currency. I thought however that paying in dollars is more expensive, if you plan to spend $100 I recommend to change the dollars into pesos

The difference between the official exchange rate and the one given by many vendors is minimal. For example, if you are buying 100 USD of stuff, the vendors may give you an exchange rate as low as 10 pesos per dollar, which equals 1000 pesos. A bank or ATM will give you 1200 pesos. The difference is about 15 dollars which will not kill you, really.

Recent government efforts to reduce money laundering have included a new law prohibiting businesses, especially in non-touristy areas, from accepting dollars so you may find some resistance especially in out of the way areas or stores in Merida.

Archived