Hair braiding in Jamaica?

kathy7558

Has anyone had their hair braided in Jamaica? We'll be there in May and my 18-year-old niece would like to get hers braided. She's done this in the Bahamas, but my question is if it's similar in Jamaica. Also, can anyone give me an idea of what price to expect? Thanks.

What other ports are you going to? I ask because although your niece could probably get her hair braided there, most of the vendors in Jamaica are so aggressive, I wouldn't want to deal with it. If you read the posts on this board, most people are recommending NOT going into town to avoid all the hassles, and instead, going to a place like Sunset Beach or on a private tour.

I know people get their hair braided in Cozumel (if you're going there, ask on the Cozumel board for details).

Whatever you choose, have her bring her own comb.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help........hopefully others will respond.

Kathy,

I had my hair braided in jamiaica in the marketplace by Margaritaville and I loved it. It stayed in really well even through washing and I have very soft hair. It cost me $20.00. I didn't find them aggressive at all, I approached them. I would recommend Ocho Rios. I wanted to do it in Cozumel and was told a whole lot more $$ for it.

Hope this helps,

Mindy

My daughter and her friend had their hair braided at the marketplace (next to Margaritaville). I think it was $20 to $25 each. There was no problem with any aggressive vendors. Our tour guide, Lewis McBeam, set it up, but I am sure you could walk in and set it up yourself. I sat and watched the water, while the girls got their hair braided.

Not to rain on your parade, but a warning... I would be a bit careful with getting your hair braided anywhere in the Caribbean. I know people on some of my cruises who did and got nasty cases of lice! They don't change or clean the combs they use like they do at a salon in the US.

• 3 months later...
My daughter and her friend had their hair braided at the marketplace (next to Margaritaville). I think it was $20 to $25 each. There was no problem with any aggressive vendors. Our tour guide, Lewis McBeam, set it up, but I am sure you could walk in and set it up yourself. I sat and watched the water, while the girls got their hair braided.

Hi, I was wondering how long it took to get someone's hair braided, in case there's limited time left to get back onboard the cruise. (I suppose it depends on whether your hair is short, medium or long.)

Also, you mentioned 20 to $25 per person ~ were they quite thick braids, or many smaller ones (like in the Bo Derek film, "10")? Thanks...

Hi, I was wondering how long it took to get someone's hair braided, in case there's limited time left to get back onboard the cruise. (I suppose it depends on whether your hair is short, medium or long.)

Also, you mentioned 20 to $25 per person ~ were they quite thick braids, or many smaller ones (like in the Bo Derek film, "10")? Thanks...

I think it took around 20 minutes or so (there were two braiders in the shop while we were there). The girls have longer hair (just below their shoulders), and they braided just to the top of their head (the thin braids). The girls were very happy with the job. It looked really neat, and they left the braids in for quite a while.

I think it took around 20 minutes or so (there were two braiders in the shop while we were there). The girls have longer hair (just below their shoulders), and they braided just to the top of their head (the thin braids). The girls were very happy with the job. It looked really neat, and they left the braids in for quite a while.

That sounds like good value ~ I definitely prefer the smaller ones myself. Thanks for your help!

Archived