To Mr. Dawson & Mr. Lawson, RE: Progreso/ Merida

luvstocruise711

My family (husband, daughter 20 & son 13) and myself will be cruising to Progreso the week after Christmas on the Carnival Elation! I have noticed by your many posts that you are both very knowledgable about the area and wondered if you would be so kind as to give me some direction. We just want to sight-see the area. I've read where you can take a double decker bus through Progreso. I think we'd also like to go to Merida and tour that. I would be so appreciative of your thoughts! Anything and everything that you believe would be worth seeing (and how to go about getting there) would be great as we love to see how others live. Also, if you think we'd be better off hiring a tour company, please advise of that. Thank you in advance! Lori

My suggestion would be to hire a taxi to Merida (apx $25 ea way) and tour on your own. Have the driver take you to the central plaza and visit Casa de Montejo (1549) the cathedral (1561) the sidewalk ice cream parlor and then take a carriage ride (apx $25/50 min) out on Paseo di Montejo a broad upscale blvd. Then lunch in one of the many restaurants and shopping a bit. And return to Progreso by taxi. Research, research and research. Start with yucatantoday.com. I love the city which is clean and very safe. Also visit the Yucatan Governor's bldg and the art display on the second floor. Using the cab allows more time for exploring. Stroll along Calle 60 checking out the Gran Hotel, (100 yrsw old and looks like a movie set) which by the way has a fine dress shop off the gorgeous lobby and several old churches and plazas.

I agree with Mr Dawson; do lots of reading on the yucatantoday.com website and you will see that there is far too much to do in the limited time you will be visiting the port. The idea is to get a taste for the area and hopefully come back with some more time.

In Progreso, there is beach fun, but Progreso is better used to explore the cultural aspect and leave the beach to the blue water in Cozumel. I would do the water & beach stuff there. That said, you could take a cab out to the Villas Yucatan hotel where you can chill on the beach with no vendors and have a nice meal at their San Bruno Grill.

The Merida option one great way to go. The ride into town, the exploring, eating and shopping are all possible and fun. It can be combined with a visit to Dzibilchaltun as well, if you want to throw in some Mayan-ness. :)

Thanks Mr Dawson and Mr Lawson for your ideas and for the many posts you have taken the time to write here. Your perspectives have lead me to exploring a part of Mexico that we would not have otherwise considered. Most of of the posts here seemed to be focused on the laying out on the beach/partying/shopping side of the Progreso activities. Since that is not our idea of entertainment that left us with a hugh question mark as to what we will be doing that day.

Your posts have revealed the area as a place of culture and history. Thanks to you I am looking foward to this stop being an adventure rather than a "get off the ship for an hour, take the double decker bus, get bored and back on the ship" event.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Mr Dawson; do lots of reading on the yucatantoday.com website and you will see that there is far too much to do in the limited time you will be visiting the port. The idea is to get a taste for the area and hopefully come back with some more time.

In Progreso, there is beach fun, but Progreso is better used to explore the cultural aspect and leave the beach to the blue water in Cozumel. I would do the water & beach stuff there. That said, you could take a cab out to the Villas Yucatan hotel where you can chill on the beach with no vendors and have a nice meal at their San Bruno Grill.

The Merida option one great way to go. The ride into town, the exploring, eating and shopping are all possible and fun. It can be combined with a visit to Dzibilchaltun as well, if you want to throw in some Mayan-ness. :)

How much nicer is the beach at the Villas Yucatan Hotel vs. the one in Progreso? Also, how much does it cost for a Taxi?

Thank you so much, Mr. Dawson & Mr. Lawson! I truly appreciate your help. I'm sorry to take so long to post my thank you, but I have not had time to get on the board for quite awhile due to a family members illness and passing. I have printed off what you said and intend for my family to enjoy everything that we can! Have a great day!!

• 5 weeks later...

The double decker bus is a hoot and something we always do in Progreso. The Dzib ruins are also enjoyable and worth seeing if you are into that sort of thing. Lots of people trash talk Progreso but there are things to do if you take the time to research them.

Yes, there are plenty of things to do FROM Progreso, not necessarily IN Progreso. Do not expect Disneyland or an Epcot Center version of Mexico in Progreso. It is gritty and rough around the edges as are many shipping, fishing ports around the world but has very friendly people, great seafood, frosty cervezas and there is a world of things to do with a little driving into the countryside. Save the beachy, touristy stuff for your next stop, Cozumel.

• 4 months later...

Lots of good info Bill. If I'm understanding correctly, a shuttle takes you from the ship into Progreso and from there a taxi or bus can be taken to Merida? (what's your recommendation). I like the idea of going to Villas Yucatan hotel to get away from the crowds. How much $$ should I plan on bringing or use plastic? Finally, are massages available at the hotel?

Lots of good info Bill. If I'm understanding correctly, a shuttle takes you from the ship into Progreso and from there a taxi or bus can be taken to Merida? (what's your recommendation). I like the idea of going to Villas Yucatan hotel to get away from the crowds. How much $$ should I plan on bringing or use plastic? Finally, are massages available at the hotel?

Hi there. Yes, the pier is 4.5 miles long and you need to take a (free) shuttle into town (Progreso) From there you can either bus it to Merida (3 dollars each way) or take a cab to Merida or anywhere else. The Yucatan Villas will probably not have massages, no.

Depending on your shopping needs, I would bring along maybe 50 USD for your Progreso day. That's independent of transportation, so maybe another 50 for that, tops. Most places along the beach take dollars, established stores in town will take plastic and some take dollars, in Merida your dollars may or may not be accepted as there is a law against accepting dollars in effect especially outside tourist areas.

• 4 weeks later...
My suggestion would be to hire a taxi to Merida (apx $25 ea way) and tour on your own. Have the driver take you to the central plaza and visit Casa de Montejo (1549) the cathedral (1561) the sidewalk ice cream parlor and then take a carriage ride (apx $25/50 min) out on Paseo di Montejo a broad upscale blvd. Then lunch in one of the many restaurants and shopping a bit. And return to Progreso by taxi. Research, research and research. Start with yucatantoday.com. I love the city which is clean and very safe. Also visit the Yucatan Governor's bldg and the art display on the second floor. Using the cab allows more time for exploring. Stroll along Calle 60 checking out the Gran Hotel, (100 yrsw old and looks like a movie set) which by the way has a fine dress shop off the gorgeous lobby and several old churches and plazas.

I'd really like to have time to explore Merida and Dzib while in Progreso next week~ since the Combo tour I was thinking of taking only stays in each place about an hour I'm now considering doing it on our own so I have more time to explore each place. Is there time to do both and is it pretty easy to find my way around both without a guide? I hate not getting the information from having a guide but would love to have the time to enjoy each place properly. :)

Archived