Private excursions for Oct. 20-27 trip

blackcatcruises

I'm looking 1) for information on how to book an excursion in Bora Bora with "Patrick", a private vendor who provides snorkling and a great grilled lunch at a beach. A friend gave me this much info but I don't know how to reach him for details. Anyone out there that can help?? 2) Would also appreciate any input on PG vs. private tours on the other islands.

Thanks for the info on getting local currency in advance. Just returned from Oceania's Black Sea Seranade cruise. Took about $50 per day of local currency for each country to use for incidentals, tips, etc. Worked out well.

Patrick is good but best when he himself is the skipper. He is also the most expensive. Each company has their strong points.

Patrick - lobster on the BBQ

Reef Discovery - all about the snorkeling, has fast sleek boats, a bit more hands on for those who need a helping hand

Raanui tours - Family ran business, young adult males are the skippers, mamas and daughter prepare lunch, great bang for the buck

Shark boy - does the best shark encounter

On the other islands on the 7 night run you have Marc's on Huahine, Hiro & Alberts on Moorea and if time permits Bruno on Riaitea.

I have found over the years that similar tours are available from the cruise line but usually you will find a bit more bang for the buck by going to a private company and booking yourself. Always stick with the major players which I've given you. Many times the same tour companies take care of ship tours as well as booking direct. Sometimes thay are inner mixed.

• 3 weeks later...
Patrick is good but best when he himself is the skipper. He is also the most expensive. Each company has their strong points.

Patrick - lobster on the BBQ

Reef Discovery - all about the snorkeling, has fast sleek boats, a bit more hands on for those who need a helping hand

Raanui tours - Family ran business, young adult males are the skippers, mamas and daughter prepare lunch, great bang for the buck

Shark boy - does the best shark encounter

On the other islands on the 7 night run you have Marc's on Huahine, Hiro & Alberts on Moorea and if time permits Bruno on Riaitea.

I have found over the years that similar tours are available from the cruise line but usually you will find a bit more bang for the buck by going to a private company and booking yourself. Always stick with the major players which I've given you. Many times the same tour companies take care of ship tours as well as booking direct. Sometimes thay are inner mixed.

With your experience, would you know of any tour cie where i can get a day of land & see experience ? We would like to do a jeep ride to explore the island, and then circle around the island in places where PG wont go, maybe snorkle a little, but not to much. DH is not a snorling person :-)

Thank you

Josee

• 4 weeks later...

FYI- Holland America's Westerdam ( 1900 passengers) will be in Bora Bora the first day we will be there so it should be pretty crowded. Plan accordingly. I'm told that since the Westerdam will be in Raiatea the day we were supposed to be there, that the PG will be in Huahine instead. I have booked a snorkeling/lunch tour for the second day we are in Bora Bora(the Westerdam will be gone).

Most of the PG shore excursions look the same regardless of the island- which is understandable given the options- and, as one would expect, are more expensive (and sometimes way too expensive) than with a privately arranged operator.

Has anyone played golf on Moorea? My husband and I are considering it but want to know what the course is like and whether it's worth the money.

Patrick has a combo land and sea tour as does the PG. But Patrick's Motu experience is the full day.

Your other choice is take the pG's Safari tour ( 4x4) in BB which is quite spectacularand then spend the afternoon on the BB Motu. You can do some snorkelling, swimming, kayaking or just sunning here.

Has anyone played golf on Moorea? My husband and I are considering it but want to know what the course is like and whether it's worth the money.

My husband did the "Golf in Paradise" outing on our second day in Moorea. Here's his input:

"The course needed some work; parts of the fairway had dead grass. Sand traps were not raked. Greens had divots. Personally, I thought it didn't feel much different than going to our local golf course [near Tampa]. However, some holes had spectacular views (a couple were ocean view; a couple were atop hills). So all in all, while I wasn't very impressed with the course, I felt it was worth it just to say that I played golf in Moorea. Would I do the golf excursion again on a future cruise? No. But I'm glad I went this time."

He also said part of the reason he didn't enjoy it as much as he expected to was because of the people he was teamed up with. The other three golfers took a REALLY long time to play through each hole, and would take multiple tee shots. Because of this, the group didn't get to play the full 18 holes - their driver made them stop after the 17th hole and insisted that they had to head back to the ship because they were already late. So not only did he miss the last hole, but he didn't get to tour the club house or stop for lunch. He said, "I'm not saying I'm the best golfer, but this isn't the time or place to practice at each hole - you need to just play through and enjoy it." So your enjoyment of the excursion may depend on the other two people you get paired up with.

Hope this feedback helps!

Archived