Buddy's

Nadersmom

Whenever you tell someone that you are going to Mexico, the first thing they say is "Don't drink the water!! Don't use the ice!!" I've recently heard, "Don't eat anything like salad that was washed in water"

I've read that the restaurants that are popular with tourists use purified water for thier drinks and ice and that any real concern would be the street vendors or if you venture out of the main area into restaurants where the locals more commonly go.

Does anyone know if they use purified water at Buddy's? Anyone ever gotten sick after spending the day there?

We usually just get nachos and guacamole and guzzle a lot of beer...If you have not been here , the vendors are a little pushy..Just say no gracias..We made the mistake of letting one of the guitar guys sing us a song, and they came out of the woodwork then..Last time there we got a private cab at the ship and went to Merida, $70 round trip for all of us . We really enjoyed it. The packed bus tour I believe was $49 a head, and you can't drink beer on the bus. Fernando, our driver was super. We tipped him $20, and you would of thought he died and went to heaven. Away from the town we stopped at a convenience store where 4 beers , a coke for Fernando, and a bottle of water was $5 total.We ate a full blown meal in Merida in a restaurant overlooking the square. Will post a couple of picks..Also have a slideshow which has some Merida on it..Enjoy ! We will be there on the 23 rd again, as our cruise leaves Galveston on the 22nd.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0404-bd2a-7ceb

2z50fm1.jpg

2nu7ijb.jpg

35384yo.jpg

ndl7b.jpg

Whwn are you going to Progreso ?

Thanks! We are leaving N.O. on Nov 2. I believe we'll be in Progreso on the 4th.

Never been to Mexico so relying on everything I read on these forums. I have heard conflicting information regarding drinking anything with ice, ect. I would think that the more popular tourists places such as Buddy's use purified water anyway. Cannot wait! We really dont have anything planned for Progreso other than shopping the market a little and then sitting on the beach and having some lunch. A few of my co-cruisers (also newbies) are a little weary of eating and drinking there based on what they keep hearing from people. But I don't want to miss the experience of the food and drink :)

A cheap fun thing to do is ride the double decker bus....They can tell you where to catch it..They used to use them to take you to town..They were a lot of fun...The main drag just goes along the water. My wife and I walk the side streets alone for better deals. Never had a problem..Enjoy your cruise. P>S> Don't know if you have been told but the water is not very pretty at Progreso, and it is night and day difference in Cozumel..

Thanks! We are leaving N.O. on Nov 2. I believe we'll be in Progreso on the 4th.

Never been to Mexico so relying on everything I read on these forums. I have heard conflicting information regarding drinking anything with ice, ect. I would think that the more popular tourists places such as Buddy's use purified water anyway. Cannot wait! We really dont have anything planned for Progreso other than shopping the market a little and then sitting on the beach and having some lunch. A few of my co-cruisers (also newbies) are a little weary of eating and drinking there based on what they keep hearing from people. But I don't want to miss the experience of the food and drink :)

Forgot to mention, in Cozumel we take a cab to El Centro , the old town square where things are less like $1 beer instead of $3 or $4...We find a cafe on the side streets, an authenic Mexican one and eat there...Never had a problem , and the locals are very nice in the small cafes.

Thank you. I've heard so much about how Progreso is the opposite of Coz. That the water is not the beautiful water you see in Cozumel. We plan to have a beach day at Nachi Cocom when we go there the next day.

I would like to do the double decker bus, and then just shop a little bit and hang out. Don't know that we'll venture too far off the main strip on our first trip. I'm sure whatever we do will be relaxing. I mean, there's no work, no laundry, no dishes. That's enough for me!!:)

The time we did Nachi there were 12 people there...It was nice..This time we are going to the wild side of Cozumel, or the east side which is the windward side...They say it is really beautiful..Will try to make a deal with a cab driver to stay with us , as that side is not patrolled much..Have a great cruise..:)

The time we did Nachi there were 12 people there...It was nice..This time we are going to the wild side of Cozumel, or the east side which is the windward side...They say it is really beautiful..Will try to make a deal with a cab driver to stay with us , as that side is not patrolled much..Have a great cruise..:)

Thanks Centex. Right back atcha! Have a wonderful time!!!

We usually just get nachos and guacamole and guzzle a lot of beer...If you have not been here , the vendors are a little pushy..Just say no gracias..We made the mistake of letting one of the guitar guys sing us a song, and they came out of the woodwork then..Last time there we got a private cab at the ship and went to Merida, $70 round trip for all of us . We really enjoyed it. The packed bus tour I believe was $49 a head, and you can't drink beer on the bus. Fernando, our driver was super. We tipped him $20, and you would of thought he died and went to heaven. Away from the town we stopped at a convenience store where 4 beers , a coke for Fernando, and a bottle of water was $5 total.We ate a full blown meal in Merida in a restaurant overlooking the square. Will post a couple of picks..Also have a slideshow which has some Merida on it..Enjoy ! We will be there on the 23 rd again, as our cruise leaves Galveston on the 22nd.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0404-bd2a-7ceb

2z50fm1.jpg

2nu7ijb.jpg

35384yo.jpg

ndl7b.jpg

Do you remember the name of the restaurant you ate at? That food looks great!

Gosh, I do not , but it was on the NW corner of the square, and I believe the only one we saw that had the overlook..Wish I could be more exact...The food was really good and good prices as well. Very nice waiter also.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant you ate at? That food looks great!

Gosh, I do not , but it was on the NW corner of the square, and I believe the only one we saw that had the overlook..Wish I could be more exact...The food was really good and good prices as well. Very nice waiter also.

I will definitely try to find it....thanks! Do you remember the prices? There will be eight of us, including three kids. Thanks again!

Sorry about taking so long to reply...I do not remember exactly, but we had a couple of beers and / or drinks each , plus food , and I think it was about $40 total...Also , the private cab was so much better than a packed bus...They will bargain with you at the cruise dock..We are doing the same thing in April again, but this time we will plan for more time in Merida...Have fun..:)

I will definitely try to find it....thanks! Do you remember the prices? There will be eight of us, including three kids. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my group have been to Progresso and Coz 8 times in 8 years. We've eaten and drank at numerous places. No problems at all. I can't speak for any "local" places but these are both "tourist towns" and they won't be in business long if people start getting sick.

The beach bars and restaurants in Progreso are many, the people friendly and gracious. For the short time you will be in port with thousands of other people, you will be just fine in Progreso. We usually stick to the beach area and market just for the sake of time so I really can't comment on other areas. However, I've never read of any concerns about Progreso.

Me and my group have been to Progresso and Coz 8 times in 8 years. We've eaten and drank at numerous places. No problems at all. I can't speak for any "local" places but these are both "tourist towns" and they won't be in business long if people start getting sick.

The beach bars and restaurants in Progreso are many, the people friendly and gracious. For the short time you will be in port with thousands of other people, you will be just fine in Progreso. We usually stick to the beach area and market just for the sake of time so I really can't comment on other areas. However, I've never read of any concerns about Progreso.

Great! thats kind of what I thought too.

Thanks!!!

Nadersmom---Beth:

We will be on the Elation with you. We are also doing Nachi CoCom in Cozumel. That's the first time doing that, so I'm very excited about it. I've read and heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.

My mom and I went to Progreso about two years ago. We drank a mixed drink and ate some of the bigger chunks of ice from the drink too. We went in Sept and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! I would have drank the ocean water if it had been cold, lol! Anyway, no problems for either of us, and we seem to suffer from GI upset pretty easily. It wasn't from Buddy's but from one of the other bars right there nearby.

We also did the double decker bus, which was interesting for a few dollars investment and I got some neat pictures. My hubby and father are joining us this time, so I am sure we will do it again. Sit up top for better photos but watch for low hanging electric lines.

Thinking we will go to Merida this time, but not certain of plans. Still researching, which is unusual for me. I usually have things planned and set in stone, but I'm just going to play this one by ear. Either way---we will be on VACATION!!!! See you on board! (There will be 4 of us, BTW)

Nadersmom---Beth:

We will be on the Elation with you. We are also doing Nachi CoCom in Cozumel. That's the first time doing that, so I'm very excited about it. I've read and heard good things so I'm looking forward to it.

My mom and I went to Progreso about two years ago. We drank a mixed drink and ate some of the bigger chunks of ice from the drink too. We went in Sept and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! I would have drank the ocean water if it had been cold, lol! Anyway, no problems for either of us, and we seem to suffer from GI upset pretty easily. It wasn't from Buddy's but from one of the other bars right there nearby.

We also did the double decker bus, which was interesting for a few dollars investment and I got some neat pictures. My hubby and father are joining us this time, so I am sure we will do it again. Sit up top for better photos but watch for low hanging electric lines.

Thinking we will go to Merida this time, but not certain of plans. Still researching, which is unusual for me. I usually have things planned and set in stone, but I'm just going to play this one by ear. Either way---we will be on VACATION!!!! See you on board! (There will be 4 of us, BTW)

Hey chrisrm2003! Can't wait! I didnt see you on roll call. Head on over there also!. Looks like you've been on the Elation a few times now so I'm guessing you like it pretty well. This is our first cruise. I am SO looking forward to Nachi! And the food!!! I'm a planner too! Usually obsessively so. Trying very hard to NOT plan anything other than wandering around ect in Progresso. But I keep hearing about Buddy's so I thought we'd check it out. Who knows. Gonna try and go with the flow!

Archived