Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins

My brother in law is worried about booking any of the ruins because he heard that you will be hounded by locals to buy stuff. Anything to worry about?

The simple words in Spanish to use are:

"no, gracias"

There are many sites online that teach you the proper pronunciation.

The local Mayan residents of the area and local craftspeople are very dignified and pleasant folks, I found.

But yes, at heavily touristed ruins like Chitchen Itza, there are lots of tables of items for sale and a very few slightly more insistent ambulant sales guys, but no one is going to be physically hindering your brother-in-law from simply moving on.

The Mayan ruins are world treasures. To be in the area without seeing the ones you can get to would be a great shame.

My experience is that there are no vendors on the grounds of Dzibichaltun. There are many vendors on the grounds of Chichen Itza. The vendors detract somewhat of the Chichen Itza, but I would not skip CI because of the vendors. There are no vendors on the grounds of Uxmal. Uxmal and Dzibichaltun are different from CI in terms of vendors because of the history of land ownership of the ruins. The land for CI was once privately owned while Uxmal and DZ have a long history of government ownership.

Don't worry about the vendors at Uxmal. There is a modern visitor's center and the few vendors that are there are all in the parking lot. You can easily avoid/ignore them. Once inside, and especially once at the ruins, you are gazing on unspoiled history for the rest of the visit.

• 2 weeks later...
My brother in law is worried about booking any of the ruins because he heard that you will be hounded by locals to buy stuff. Anything to worry about?

Not at Dzib, no vendors there, not enough traffic.

If the tour then takes you to Meridia then maybe you'll cross street vendors, but we were never hassled.

No vendors inside Uxmal; there is an outside area which you can go to. When we went to Chichen they were everywhere but didn't bother us. If they came over to use we just said No gracias and moved on. Uxmal via AP is worth the trip. We have been there 3 times and it was well worth it.

Archived