PG Watersports

This is Gardening Girl's husband answering -- we just returned from a 10 night cruise & to be honest, I was disappointed in the water sports.

First of all, Jean-Michel Cousteau was aboard on our cruise giving lectures & went along on some of the advanced dives. Because of Jean-Michel, there were LOTS of divers on this cruise -- I took the introduction to scuba lesson myself, plus two dives, & I enjoyed them very much. (B.T.W., Jean-Michel was a hoot, & a very approachable & friendly guy.)

You can't reserve any water sports other than booking scuba dives. You just show up. The schedule for the water sports is posted on the door of the marina. For our 10-day cruise, the schedule was as follows:

KAYAK, WINDSURF, & PADDLE BOARD (from the marina)

Huahine: 10-12 & 1:30-3:00

Fakarava: 10-12 & 1:30-4:00

Moorea day 1: 1:30-4:30

Moorea day 2: 1:30-3:45

KAYAKS (motu beach activities)

Taha'a: 10:30-3:45

Bora Bora day 1: 1:30-4:15

Bora Bora day 2: 1:30-3:00

I used the kayak during the BBQ on Taha'a. As I recall, there were only two, but I could be wrong.

They have only 1 beginner windsurfer with center board. The lone sail was 6.2 or 6.5M & had harness straps on the boom. They had one harness.

I was looking forward to windsurfing but alas, it was not to be. Here's what happened:

Huahine: I never checked availability because I was busy with scuba.

Fakarava: I went in the morning & was told to come back in the afternoon. I went back in the afternoon & was told I couldn't go out because all the staff were tied up with scuba (I.M.H.O. read this as revenue generation vs. free) & they didn't have anyone available for lookout or have a rescue boat.

Moorea day 1: Didn't try as we went on the outstanding Trail of the Ancients excursion.

Moorea day 2: No windsurfing & any other watersports due to a failure of the marina hydraulics.

I would have liked to also try paddle boards but like windsurfing, there was no opportunity. (Actually, I didn't see any paddleboard, but it might have been in the downstairs storage area.)

The bottom line was that scuba was king & all other marina watersports take a back seat.

While I was very disappointed in regards to the watersports, the cruise itself was otherwise wonderful.

Happy sailing!

--Alan

The kayaks were two person only!! It really is a shame that at least on our cruise, all the energy went to scuba diving, and not other water sports, and maybe that's cuz Jean-Michel was on it, but not everyone is a diver, so it would be nice if that could be addressed. GG

That does sound disappointing. There were many reasons we chose Paul Gauguin but one of them was the marina sports. We thought it might be a nice way to be able to kayak. Were the kayaks one or two man?

We have been on the PG four times and never had a problem getting a Kayak. There were always 5-6 available.

I am considering using either the PG or an outside dive shop for my Bora Bora dives. Has anyone had experiences for either or can tell me the pros and cons of both ?

The advantage of the dives from the ship are the convenience as they leave via zodiac from the marina vs. taking a tender to shore to meet your private operator. A private operator may be able to cater a little more to advanced divers and may be able to cater the dive site to the group. From the ship you dive with our group and all surface at the same time. If your focus is on photography a private operator may be better for you.

Both are pricey at about $90 per dive with the ship and a few dollars less with a private operator.

Are the dive sites determined at the time the group organized and are the groups separated by experience level? Will the ones organized by the ship be a bit more tame as they may have beginning divers.

Will the ship dives be shorter in duration. I am not an advanced diver, but would prefer not to go with a group that will probably dive under 20 feet and only see fishes ( which can normally be seen by snorkeling ).

What equipment is provided ? Due to luggage restrictions, I plan on only bringing my goggles and snorkel.

I enjoy diving with beginners as well as more advanced divers and do not want anyone to get the feeling that I am elitist in this subject. I only want to learn more.

I should probably ask these questions directly to the Dive Master on Board, but any help will be appreciated.

My husband took the discover scuba class on board (never scuba dived before), and before we left for the trip he also signed up for 2 beginning dives, they offered 3. So you can sign up for beginning ones if you want & also for more advanced ones. GG

Archived