Martha's Vineyard - Taxi Cost

paylady

We will be on the Sept. 4 Enchantment cruise and have registered for the ship's tour of MV. We thought we would ditch the tour in Edgartown, shop, have lunch and return by taxi.

Does anyone know the approximate taxi fare from Edgartown back to Oak Bluffs? I can't imagine it costing that much. I would seem more convenient than catching a bus.

kannna & Chef Sandy-

we're on the same cruise as paylady....thinking about getting the all day bus pass and just "winging it"-- does that sound like something that would work? I've looked at the website and it appears they have frequent buses and cover most of the area.

oh yes- one more thing- we'll be there on Sep. 5th- which is Labor Day. Will the buses have regular schedules?

tia for information.

holomuku,

The bus system on the island is very dependable. They try really hard to stay on time. The high season schedule runs through September 4th. but, it doesn't effect the schedule too much the # 13 rwill run every half an hour instead of every 15 minutes, the #7 bus won't run at all( but you can take the 9 it goes to the same places), and some of the other buses won't run as late. The buses will be crowded you may not always get a seat, though the Monday may not be as busy. If you have any more questions i would be happy to help dh(to be) drives for the bus.

K

Oceanboy-

sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out- any and all input from anyone is appreciated.

I am wondering if there is a way to get a route map and/or schedule ahead of time? I tried to download the "riders guide" from the website but for some reason I'm not able to get it.

tia

We'll be at Marths's Vineyard on the Enchantment on Sept 12. Have been trying to figure out what to do while there but definitely don't want to take any kind of ship's tour.

From what I'm reading on this thread is that the ship docks at Oak Bluffs? But where you want to go is Edgarstown?

So, if we do the bus thing on our own we would catch the #13 bus in Oak Bluffs and take it to Edgarstown, sightsee/shop there and then return to Oak Bluffs? What all is there to do in Edgarstown?

Does the ships dock or tender to Oak Bluffs? And then how close is the bus stop to the pier?

You can see I'm very confused....but hopefully not so confused that I'd have to take a ship excursion:eek:

Hi cujosmom,

What do you want to get out of your visit here? History, shopping, lighthouses, fishing villages?

Edgartown is only one town out of 6. Downtown is full of captain's homes and shopping boutiques. There is the harbor, the whaling church , and the island's oldest house and if you walk up north water st you can walk out to the lighthouse. Everything is expensive.

But, that's only one side of the island and if that's all you see you'll think we all walk around in "Lilly", all houses are white with columns, and pink is the official island color.

May i suggest that you buy a bus pass. After your visit to Edgartown take the 6 bus to the 4 bus and go to menemsha. You'll see the other side of the island on the way. The farms, horses, sheep, & the forrest. Menemsha is a fishing village. The tour buses don't stop here. I think they drive through. You can have a lobster for lunch from the fish market. Or stop at the bite for fried clams. There are a couple of shops but not overkill. When done take the 4 bus to the 3 bus to vineyard haven and catch the 13 back to Oak bluffs.

Or.......Go back to Oak bluffs see the Campground gingerbread cottages. Visit the little museum. Lots of shops in Oak bluffs more affordable than Edgartown.

Or........Take the 6 to West Tisbury and see the Field Gallery. Have a sandwich.

There are loads of things you can do without taking the tour and you can even avoid the bus tour crowds.

K

P.S. the enchantment is making her first visit tommorrow. How exciting.

Kannna,

Thank you so much for your ideas and information. I've received a map and brochure from the MV's Tourist Board so with your suggestions and their information, I'll do my homework and decide what our day will be. I'll print out the bus schedules, too.

Thanks again:D

Archived