Chichen Itza or Uxmal?

efmarek

My family and I will be on the Ecstasy in November and I am trying to decide between the shore tours for either Chichen Itza or Uxmal. I have been to Chichen Itza before and found it fascinating. How does Uxmal compare to Chichen Itza? Does anyone know of a good tour operator for Uxmal?

In my humble opinion, Uxmal is best but you can't climb the pyramid. The ruins are more impressive and also prettier. Also less crowded. You could rent a car and do it on your own if you wish. It's a little closer to Progreso but not alot. Roads are good and not crowded. Uxmal was first settled in the 7th century.

Here is a tour company. Hope all this helps.

John

I agree with hdsawson - Uxmal is my favorite Mayan ruin - the site is quite attractive and especially compared to Chichen Itza - so much less busy.

When we were there you could climb one of the pyramids - the one half covered in jungle but NOT the pyramid of the Magician - which is gorgeous!

I have heard that you can't climb the pyramid at Chichen Itza anymore also? The pyramid that you can climb at Uxmal... How does it compare to the pyramid at Chichen? When did you last tour Uxmal? We were at Chichen Itza in November of last year and we were able to climb to the top. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a tour to Uxmal and Merida which was recommended to me. They say that if go to Chichen Itza that's all you'll see becouse of the travel time.

Uxmal by the way was simply wonderful and according to some are the most architecturally beautiful of ANY Mayan ruins. Out of San Gervasio, Tulum, Xunantunich, and Uxmal....Uxmal wins.

• 4 weeks later...
If the distance is not that much greater why is Chichen quite a bit more expensive to see? For my group of 8 it is $512 vs $393 for Uxmal.

Any reason other than popularity?

Clint

For one thing, Chichen Itza is very famous. Last night on the History channel, they did a piece on Myans and Peter Weller seemed to be at Chichen. It would seem that would be THE place people would desire to see most. Its the one we always seem to see on TV.

Like I said, Uxmal is simply wonderful and a "must see" in its own right. as a matter of fact the shore excursion manager on my first cruise recomended Uxmal as his favorite Mayan site. I took his advice and was not disappointed.

I do however plan to see Chichen Itza some day.

I took a tour to Uxmal and Merida which was recommended to me. They say that if go to Chichen Itza that's all you'll see becouse of the travel time.

Uxmal by the way was simply wonderful and according to some are the most architecturally beautiful of ANY Mayan ruins. Out of San Gervasio, Tulum, Xunantunich, and Uxmal....Uxmal wins.

Thoth,

I have a few questions about your tour of Uxmal.

I am going on Carnival's Ecstasy (1-27-06 5 day cruise) with a DF (No DHs this trip). We had been to Tulum last Sept. with our DHs...and loved it! I have seen Carnival's excursion for Uxmal, but wanted to hear from other pax who have done this ship's tour what they thought of the excursion.

Did you tour the ruins with the ship's excursion or on your own. If on your own....how did you do it?

Any info on your tour of the ruins will be greatly appreciated!

Thoth,

I have a few questions about your tour of Uxmal.

I am going on Carnival's Ecstasy (1-27-06 5 day cruise) with a DF (No DHs this trip). We had been to Tulum last Sept. with our DHs...and loved it! I have seen Carnival's excursion for Uxmal, but wanted to hear from other pax who have done this ship's tour what they thought of the excursion.

Did you tour the ruins with the ship's excursion or on your own. If on your own....how did you do it?

Any info on your tour of the ruins will be greatly appreciated!

Hello ! I toured Uxmal with the ship's tour from the now defunct Commodore Line. We had a hot lunch and visited Meridia in the afternoon which is a little different from the tour offered on Carnival's web site.

Forgive the cliche'... but if you liked Tulum you should love Uxmal. It is a beautiful site and architecturally is perhaps the most unique of any pre-Colombian new world sites. Of note is the sorcerer's pyramid, according to Mayan legend to be built overnight by magic, and the "nunnery". Another plus is one can walk into and onto many of these buildings, guano and all.

Hello ! I toured Uxmal with the ship's tour from the now defunct Commodore Line. We had a hot lunch and visited Meridia in the afternoon which is a little different from the tour offered on Carnival's web site.

Forgive the cliche'... but if you liked Tulum you should love Uxmal. It is a beautiful site and architecturally is perhaps the most unique of any pre-Colombian new world sites. Of note is the sorcerer's pyramid, according to Mayan legend to be built overnight by magic, and the "nunnery". Another plus is one can walk into and onto many of these buildings, guano and all.

Thoth,

Thanks for this info...I had found some photos online of the ruins and they are indeed outstanding.

:)Happy Cruising!:)

Archived