Transportation cost to Merida?

pugsbest

I know I've seen the amount before, but with the new boards, I can't seem to find it. We were originally planning on just staying on the beach in Progresso, but after reading comments want to look at other options.

Julie

Julie. There is a bus from the plaza in Progreso where the courtesy bus drops you for about $8 RT. If you walk about 3 or 4 blocks to the bus terminal it's only about $3 RT. Medrida is Mexico at it's finest. Not at all like Cancun or Cozumel. Do take your camera as it is a very picturesque city.

Thank you for the info! Is it easy to get around Merida? One of the friends I will have with me recently had a triple bypass and I don't want to do anything too taxing. I am trying to decide between taking the bus and doing the tour.

Julie

Julie. I've had four heart attacks, triple bypass (1986), 3 stints and an implantable defibrilator. I've had no problems at all. Upon arriva at the bus terminal in Merida turn right and the central plaza is three blocks. Email me for pics of Merida and you can see that it's very easy to get around. Sidewalks are a bit narrow but doesn't cause problems. [email]hdawson228@aol.com[/email]

thanks hdawson (john) for the email link. I emailed you, and you so nicely sent me a bunch of great pictures of Merida!! I have already emailed my thanks to you, but I wanted to let all CC'ers here know that you are very nice to take the time and trouble to answer many of our questions about this port, and you even take the time & trouble to send many pictures of Merida to us also! You are to Progresso/Merida what Paradise Tom and Sally are to the Cozumel board!!!! (although I'm sure you'd like it better if you actually LIVED there, like they do!). :) Anyway, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Travelitis. Pls email me for some pics. Although I think the 6 yr old will be the least interested, everyone else will probably enjoy the different culture. I've found plenty of beach opportunites in the rest of the cruise. The pics may help you to understand. Merida is not at all like Cozumel or Cancun. It is a vibrant, modern Mexican city. Lots of parks/plazas and even a small zoo.

• 3 weeks later...
hdawson

There is a trip from the ship they offer for a city tour of Meridan and shopping do you suggest that or on your own. We will be going in October on the Glory. We are planning the beach on COZ and I think the ruins in Belize. Maybe Majahula in Costa Maya.
Thanks

Mary. I prefer to do things on my own when vacationing. Busses are readily available to Merida and very reasonably priced. The bus terminal in Merida is 3 blocks from the central plaza in the historic area. Glad to share some pics and more information.

Archived