Boston Port to Prudential Center for Duck Tour?

TVLady3

How much and how far is a cab ride to catch a tour on the Duck? The Ship tour is quite expensive ($69pp). We will be in port 8am-6pm. Can you just walk up and get tickets at the Pru center? Ship will be docked on Thursday Sept. 6th., not a weekend if this makes any difference. Thank You:)

I did the Boston Duck Tour in 2005. As I recall the taxi cost approximately $15 to $20 each way (depending on traffic). You can buy tickets at the Prudential Center (subject to availability). They had a little booth at the pickup point.

Another tour you may want to consider is the Olde Town Trolley tour. I did this tour last year and liked it much better (you can get on and off at several key locations). The Duck Tour does not stop and is not the best choice for taking pictures.

Click the link below to see my pictures from the Duck Tour (Heavy, Heavy rain during the tour). Use the "Slideshow" feature for best viewing.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNmTNo5csmeJ

If you are going to do the Duck Tour, go to their office and start point at the Museum of Science. It is a shorter and cheaper cab ride than going to the Prudential Center, unless you are going there anyway to see Copley Square and the Back Bay area. You can buy Duck tickets online 7 days in advance, which is strongly recommended as they do sell out. There is no hop on - hop off feature like the Old Town Trolley. Once you are on the Duck, you stay on the Duck.

Old Towne usually has trolleys waiting at the Black Falcon Pier to pick people up, so no need to do anything but look for it there. Beantown Tolley is another vendor that does the same route and is also usually at the dock.

Thank you for all your replies & ideas. I did'nt know that the museum of science would be much closer to the port. So how much of a cab fare from the port to the museum? And would the museum be open at that time of year? Thanks Again.:)

Boston proper is a small, walkable city. The Black Falcon Pier isnt too far removed from all of the main attractions.

I've done both the Duck Tour and Trolley Tours and while both are good, the benefit to the trolley tour is that if there are particular sights that interest you, you can get off, look around and then catch the next trolley. Gives you a better chance of getting up close and personal, more so than the Duck Tour does.

The trolley tours are more, straight forward history/information whereas the Duck tours give you a little more of the quirky facts of Boston as well as the history. If you have children they would find the Duck tour more fun and might even be able to "drive" the vehicle when it enters the Charles River :p

Boston taxi fares are set by the city. The meter starts at $2.25 and the rate is 30 cents for each additional 1/8th of a mile. From the dock to the Museum of Science is just over 3 miles, so figure around $9.75 on the meter plus a 10% to 15% tip, or another $1.50, for a total in the $11.25 range.

You will not go through any toll or have to pay the airport surcharge fees so this is a pretty close estimate. Duck Tours has a ticket office in their lobby. Entrance to the Museum is a separate fee.

Archived