Whale Watching...which port

Tinabrn

I notice several ports on the New England cruises offer whale watching..bar harbor, newfoundland, Nova Scotia...would love to hear any advice about which might be best whether through the ship or booked online...thank you.

I notice several ports on the New England cruises offer whale watching..bar harbor, newfoundland, Nova Scotia...would love to hear any advice about which might be best whether through the ship or booked online...thank you.

I booked a tour independent of the cruise (Royal Caribbean) in 2005. It was out of Bar Harbor and was easily fit into the time we had in port - left right from the dock we tendered to.... http://www.barharborwhales.com/

The cruise, if weather allows, is also good for puffins.

I read some of the other posts about birds and nature..if I take this will I also have time to tour the island??? I have not been there before and may not return so like to do as much as possible.

your best bet is nova scotia or newfoundland, believe me when i say if you want whales these are the places. we have many different kinds at most times of the year so keep your eyes and ears open and have fun

:) :)

I read some of the other posts about birds and nature..if I take this will I also have time to tour the island??? I have not been there before and may not return so like to do as much as possible.

Depends on how much time you have. We took the early whale watch/puffin tour (left around 8ish), saw puffins and humpbacks, got back around lunchtime, had lunch, then took a bus ride around Acadia and a bit of walking around Bar Harbor. Ship pulled out in early evening.

well I may just have to try both places, eh??!! I have been on tours in Alaska, Hawaii, Dana Point CA, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo so you can tell I am a fan. Best ones were in PV and Cabo so anxious to meet the Atlantic "pods'!!

• 2 weeks later...

Next time you plan a cruise think about the Mexican Riviera in early winter (through March) with a stop in Cabo...or do a Hawaii in Feb-March for somre really spectacular up close and personal talks with the big fellas.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw on a Boston tourism website an advert for Whale watching out of Boston itself. Is this likely to be a good trip (in July)

Yes. July is a great month for a whale watch from Boston. They will head to Stellwagon Banks, a feeding ground and migratory destination for whales off the coast of Cape Cod. Since the ocean is warmer in July it is prime season for a whale watch.

Enjoy our city.

Yes. July is a great month for a whale watch from Boston. They will head to Stellwagon Banks, a feeding ground and migratory destination for whales off the coast of Cape Cod. Since the ocean is warmer in July it is prime season for a whale watch.

Enjoy our city.

Great. Thanks for the info.

I am planning for next year, and had no idea that whale watching was one of the things we could do on a stay in Boston.

How is the whale watching in Boston in September? What about points north, such as Bar Harbor or Halifax in September as well?

I'm not sure that Bar Harbor or Halifax have whale watching excursions, but even if they do the later in the year you go the less likely it will be that the whales will be there.

Whales are migratory animals that follow the warmer water. July and August are peak times for sightings in Massachusetts. Getting into September becomes a crapshoot.

I'm not sure that Bar Harbor or Halifax have whale watching excursions, but even if they do the later in the year you go the less likely it will be that the whales will be there.

Whales are migratory animals that follow the warmer water. July and August are peak times for sightings in Massachusetts. Getting into September becomes a crapshoot.

Thanks! That helps us make a decision about what to do in Bar Harbor!

Thanks! That helps us make a decision about what to do in Bar Harbor!

C Breeze,

Last year we were in Halifax after Labor Day and took a trip to Peggys Cove. On the way to Peggys Cove we saw two whales and an entire Pod of dolphins. We are on the same trip as you and we are taking the Whale watching tour out of Halifax.

Tom

C Breeze,

Last year we were in Halifax after Labor Day and took a trip to Peggys Cove. On the way to Peggys Cove we saw two whales and an entire Pod of dolphins. We are on the same trip as you and we are taking the Whale watching tour out of Halifax.

Tom

Thanks! I really want to do this, and would prefer to do in in Bar Harbor, but my DH is not interested, since he gets sea sick on smaller boats...

Tom,

Thanks for the recommendation about seeing whales in Halifax. We are taking the RC New England cruise July 27 and are making port plans. How did you get to Peggy's Cove? Ship tour or the Harber Hopper or other? Is Peggy's Cove an all day adventure or just a few hours?

Maggie in VA

Tom,

Thanks for the recommendation about seeing whales in Halifax. We are taking the RC New England cruise July 27 and are making port plans. How did you get to Peggy's Cove? Ship tour or the Harber Hopper or other? Is Peggy's Cove an all day adventure or just a few hours?

Maggie in VA

Well our trip was by both land and sea. On the way down we went by boat to Peggy's Cove. It was in a small boat and very rocky. One poor guy was sea sick the entire time. It probably took about 2 hours to get there by boat. The shore line was beautiful. Completely different than the west coast and shoreline in Alaska. On the way, we saw the whales and the pod of dolphins just surrounded the boat. We made several stops while they were around us. It was something. After we got to Peggy's Cove we had a small lunch then a tour of the Cove. After that we got on a bus that took about 1 hour to get back. All in all it was probably about 4 1/2 to 5 hours from the time we left until we got back. I got the excursion from the ship and it was very reasonable. This year we are just doing a whale watching excursion in Halifax.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I noted EQTY said the whale watching would be iffy in September??? At this point I am thinking Halifax rather than Bar Harbor because of the different posts...will that be too late at the end of the month?? What about in Massachusetts?? What would be the name of the tour company so I can look them up online???....or will they be there at the docks booking excursions as one is not offerred from the cruise ship.

Archived