Question for Connecticutnewcruiser

LaCat3

I saw from your posts you are from New London.

I will be there from the Maasdam in October and wonder if the old "1st burial ground" from the 1600's can still be visited and if so how and where exactly it is?

Thank you,

LaCat3

Hi LaCat3 - I'm actually from Mystic/Stonington but New London is 10 minutes away. I assume that you are referring to the Ye Ancientest Burial Ground in New London which is still accessible. From the State Pier (where the ship will dock), it would be a long walk and almost all up hill on the way to the cemetery. For past cruise ship visits, I believe there were shuttle buses arranged for going into downtown New London. Below is a link describing the Burial Ground with some pictures. You may be able to ask the shuttle driver to get you close to the burial ground (it may even be one of the stops on the city tour excursion??). A taxi cab would work too. Good Luck!

Link to an article on the burial ground:

http://asylumeclectica.com/asylum/sightseer/us/ct/ancient/index.html

CNC,

Thank you so very much for the response and infomation. This is exactly what I needed to know.

My first ancestor to come to the new world was buried there in 1682. I'm excited to be able to see the cemetery and look aournd.

Again, thank you!!!!!!!!!

Carolyn

Archived