Port or Starboard Side Cape Liberty NJ

suemoon

Which side do you want to be on cruising from Cape Liberty NJ on July31,2008 if you want to be able to see the pier at each stop.

We will be on Explorer of the Seas and wondering about it leaving Cape Liberty and going to Halifax and then returing back to St John, Bar Harbor,Portland, and Boston.

Normally you want to be on port side is this the same way on this itinerary.

Thanks so much sue

Explorer of the Seas 8/31/07 docked on the starboard side in most ports. However, most of these ports are in fairly industrial areas and sometimes the view is better on the opposite side of the harbor from where you dock. New London, Halifax, St.John and Portland docked on starboard side. Tender at Bar Harbor but view of the town is on the port side and dock head on in Boston. Hope this helps you.

Suemoon, I booked this cruise also. We'll be two adults and two teen boys from FL looking to get out of the heat of summer. One of our cabins is a JS aft so I don't have to worry about which side. Are you bringing any kids? Do you know of any places to stay for 2 nights precruise?

Thanks

benzy-

I live in CT and have been to some of the ports before, and even still I thought it was a wonderful cruise. The Canadian ports were great, but Bar Harbor was by far the most beautiful. Boston is always fantastic. It will be hot here in July, albeit not as hot as FL I imagine. The water will be much cooler than you are probably used to. I have not written a review, but would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Theorion,

Hi, I just had a couple questions that have been swirling around in my mind for which haven't found any info yet... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) Did you see any whales from the ship? I'm just wondering if whale watching is a good shore activity during this time of the year.

2) Did you by any chance use the sauna/steamrooms? I'm assuming they have some in spa? Just wondering if you can get a weekly pass for just that. My pt of reference is the steam rooms on Disney ships.

3) I've been trying to find some good pictures of what the kid's pool with slide looks like, but haven't been able to. Don't understand why Royal C doesn't show a better picture of that area...

so, anyhow just my random questions... as I always seems to second guess myself on vacation right after I book it - but then that wears off...

Thanks,

Josie

Josie

1) Yes, we did see whales from the ship one day and the capt. made an announcement so pax could go take a look. Binoculars would've been handy, but you could spot whales from the deck. There are lots of whales in the area at that time of year but you really need to go on a whale watch boat to have the best experience. I've gone off of Cape Cod several times and seen whales on every trip. Boston tours will go to the same area that the Cape Cod tours go to. The whale watching should be good in the Canadian ports, too. Either book a ships excursion or find a company on the net. A word of caution - If you are booked on the Explorer of the Seas, RC hired the whale watch boats for tenders in Bar Harbor and there is only one company there so no whale watchs from Bar Harbor that day. Might be different for your trip, but I thought it best to warn you.

2) I didn't use the spa and don't remember seeing any steamrooms anywhere so I can't help you there.

3) I don't have any pix, but from what I remember the kids slide was accessed by a ladder and wasn't real big - looked like it was for younger children - and the pool wasn't too deep. Maybe you could search Webshots or Flickr for a pic or find one on the Royal Caribbean board. Have fun - it'll be a great cruise. :)

Archived