progresso

pete4

I tried to do a search, but search is down.

My daughter and I are leaving this Saturday out of New Orleans....Yeah!

My question is..........without doing an excursion, is there shopping or a local market within walking distance from the ship? From what I can tell, we will be docked, but not sure what to expect once with get off the ship in Progresso.

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give. Thanks!

My question is..........without doing an excursion, is there shopping or a local market within walking distance from the ship? From what I can tell, we will be docked, but not sure what to expect once with get off the ship in Progresso.

Plenty of shopping in town. There is a free shuttle that will take you there from the ship. You cannot walk down the pier as it is very long. Expect to negotiate prices with the locals -- there are some excellent deals to be had, especially on locally made products.

Lastly, you should ignore any critical reviews of this port, make your own mind up when you get there. Personally, I loved it.:)

If you can, do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks to get away from the area where the ship docks.

The ship docks at a pier that is 5 miles long. They will have a market set up where you can buy your typical souvenirs, but besides that, there's not much right next to where the ship docks. Most people that try to be cheap in Progreso end up hating this port of call, which is a shame because the area has some amazing things, like Chichen Itza which is the largest and most impressive Mayan settlement found to this day in Mexico.

Where the pier begins, there's Progreso beach and the main town (this beach is on the Gulf side of the Yucatan peninsula so the water is not as nice as when you go to Cozumel, but if you don't want to go too far, it will do).

If you wanna shop, IMO Meridia is better than Progresso. There's a bus excursion there which is very inexpensive and interesting if you like history. Plenty time left to wander around Progresso when you return. We weren't expecting much in this port but where pleasantly surprised.

We were in Progresso off the Ecstasy a year ago. Loved it. We took the ship "excursion" Beach something or other, sorry can't remember the name. It was a bus ride around town, then dropped us at the beach, restaurant, with live music, food and drinks included. That was fun, then we just walked down the beach road and shopped with the locals, found some cute stuff, good prices. The shops down on the pier were pretty overpriced, but fun to look in, and if they had exactly what you wanted then, so be it. There is also a flea market in town, just a couple of blocks from the beach, lots of cruise passengers went over there to shop.

The beach where we were was sandy, but in the water it was rocky, so take your water shoes. Water is more green-blue, as opposed to Cozumel's Windex blue, but it is very nice.

Be sure to take pics from the pier towards town, and then from town towards the ship, otherwise no one will believe you when you say how long that pier is, really it's 5 miles out into the Gulf.

Have fun,

Diane

We just returned from Progreso and I wasn't sure what to expect, but we enjoyed it. When you get off the bus, go to the next intersection and hang a left.... the beach/seawall street is about 2 blocks down. We had lunch at Eladios on the beach and it was great Mexican food, reasonably priced. We also took the $2 bus tour, but spent most of the day just sitting on the beach and/or shopping along that beach street. The only downside is the vendors. There are tons of them. At times it was hard to even carry on a conversation because they were interrupting every 60 seconds or so, even on the beach. Other than that it was a nice day.

Pete4. There are probably more options for your day at this port than anyother in the western Caribbean cruise area. Checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com.

The large cosmopolitan city of Merida.

Two of the biggest and most impressive Mayan ruins sites. (circa 6th century)

The Progreso beach and the very good restaurants accross the street.

The smaller city is Izamal.

The smaller ruins of DZ

The beautiful all-inclusive of Reef Yucatan.

The flamingos of Celustan.

Uxmal or Merida would be my choice.

Archived