Soft Drink Card or BYO - Pacific Dawn Brisbane (Australia)

Aussie71

Hi our family are first time cruisers (Pacific Dawn in June) and were wondering if there is a 'Soft Drink Card' or similar available for purchase on the P & O Dawn - particulary for the kids? If not, is it acceptable to take BYO softdrinks or energy drinks on board with us?

Any thoughts suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Hi our family are first time cruisers (Pacific Dawn in June) and were wondering if there is a 'Soft Drink Card' or similar available for purchase on the P & O Dawn - particulary for the kids? If not, is it acceptable to take BYO softdrinks or energy drinks on board with us?

yes you can take byo soft drinks on board with you.

I've always taken them as carry on, usually in one of those green shopping bags.

If you've seen the way luggage can be tossed around, you wouldn't consider putting soft drinks in there. Just imaging opening your suitcase to find one or more cans has burst open. :eek:

You could try tying the handles of the green shopping bag together, and attaching a label. You could put that in with your luggage, but again if one bursts open, it will go all over the outside of your other cases, and probably other people's as well! That wouldn't make you very popular. :D

Thank you both for your responses. How do people carry softdrinks on to the boat (in luggage or carry on)?:rolleyes:

I could not give you a percentage, but it is not unusual. It is very common at ports of call (particularly if they are Aust ports), probably because people aren't carrying a lot of other stuff and have time to stop off and buy.

If I was travelling with a family I would take quite a supply of drinks. You will have a bar-size fridge in your cabin.

Have a fantastic cruise.:D

'Aus Traveller' thanks for the advice. I have been concerned about how many drinks the kids will consume during the trip. You have given me the confidence to take as many as we can carry. We will have a domestic flight to Brisbane, so I am thinking that if we use all our carry-on allowance with softdrinks it will be okay. I think I will purchase them in 6 packs or maybe the small (mini-size) plastic bottles. I'm not so sure that the hubby is keen to take our own drinks, but it will save us plenty.

I would be more than happy to purchase a Softdrink beverage package if they had one available. From what I have read, some other cruiseliners have that type of thing available. It's a shame P&O haven't jumped on board.

:confused:Also, this may be a real silly question...

If you purchase duty free alcohol on-board do they confiscate it until you leave or can you drink it in your cabin?

'Aus Traveller' thanks for the advice. I have been concerned about how many drinks the kids will consume during the trip. You have given me the confidence to take as many as we can carry. We will have a domestic flight to Brisbane, so I am thinking that if we use all our carry-on allowance with softdrinks it will be okay. I think I will purchase them in 6 packs or maybe the small (mini-size) plastic bottles. I'm not so sure that the hubby is keen to take our own drinks, but it will save us plenty.

I would be more than happy to purchase a Softdrink beverage package if they had one available. From what I have read, some other cruiseliners have that type of thing available. It's a shame P&O haven't jumped on board.

:confused:Also, this may be a real silly question...

If you purchase duty free alcohol on-board do they confiscate it until you leave or can you drink it in your cabin?

They will keep duty free alcohol until the last day. The prices of duty free alcohol on P&O aren't too bad, particularly when there is an extra discount for the first 2 days. However, if you are going to Vila, buy your alcohol there.

Softdrinks - I'm sure there is somewhere close to Portside where you can buy drinks rather than carrying them on the plane. That way you can check in your big luggage, even do the check-in at the counter, then go for a walk to buy your softdrinks instead of just sitting around waiting for your group to be called.

I went on a cruise in November 2010 and we could take soft drinks, chips, lollies. I do not think there is a soft drink card. Hope that helps

If you are leaving from Sydney and have time there is a Woolworths in George st near Town Hall, and another major retailer in World Square shops which is on the monorail. If you are in Sydney early or the night before these would be worth a visit for BYO softdrinks

• 3 weeks later...

We took soft drink in our luggage, no problems apart from having to go down to deck 4 to collect as it came up on the Xray. I didn't even have to open my bag they just asked was there booze inside and I said no just soft drink.

This was our first cruise, next time we will take more soft drink - we ran out fairly early on.

Whilst the IGA (Brisbane port) isn't the cheapest we will stock up there next time (easier than lugging it from Adelaide). There were people carrying slabs of soft drinks and 5L "boxes" of water on board as we were boarding.

Archived