Can You Use A Pre-paid Phone On The Boat ????

felder01

Instead of getting hit with a big bill for using your cell phone, does anyone know if a pre-paid cell phone will work on the boat ?????

Husband needs a phone LOL

My phone will be turned off as soon as i get into the shuttle bus LOL

thanks

My son has a net 10 phone. I know it will work in PR but not sure about others. Doe's anyone know?

My Treo from work which is on Sprint was able to get a signal almost everywhere, including at sea but no data.

Our AT&T personal phones didn't get a signal anywhere except Miami.

Both Verizon and Sprint appear to be supported on most RCI ships according to their websites but at some fairly steep roaming rates.

I have a $19 Tracfone which I have been able to use many times on cruises. With that said, it is getting more difficult to use it now and the service is not dependable. Last year, I was able to use it on the ship while docked in Jamaica, Labadee and Grand Cayman. Now a recording comes on most times saying you have a give a credit card number (DON"T) to get access to the phone service. I was able to use it some on the SOuthern Caribbean route in June. This is not a dependable service and I recommend it only as a backup.

We have pre-paid phones through T-Mobile. You can use their pre-paid phones internationally now, you just pay higher rates. I know that my phone works in Canada, as I have used it there this past June when visiting relatives. I'll find out if I can use it in the islands next month when we do the southern caribbean. I copied the rates from the T-mobile site just to give you an example:

When calling to a location outside the US, the following additional charges apply:

-

Country or regionChargeCanada and Mexico$0.50 per minute

Puerto Rico$0.40 per minute

Guam$0.90 per minute

Jamaica and island countries$0.90 per minute

Tuvalu and Vanuatu Islands

$5.10 per minute

All other countries$1.60 per minute

-

Restrictions on certain countries and regions apply and are subject to change without notice.

I have a $19 Tracfone which I have been able to use many times on cruises. With that said, it is getting more difficult to use it now and the service is not dependable. Last year, I was able to use it on the ship while docked in Jamaica, Labadee and Grand Cayman. Now a recording comes on most times saying you have a give a credit card number (DON"T) to get access to the phone service. I was able to use it some on the SOuthern Caribbean route in June. This is not a dependable service and I recommend it only as a backup.

The trac-fone I used the last 3 years on Carribean Cruises will work ONLY in St.thomas and San Juan. I get a no service bar in all other ports we have been in.:cool:

ATT phones will work in Puerto Rico and the American Virgin Islands at no extra charge assuming you have nationwide roaming. You can get international roaming for $4.99 a month.The minute charge will vary from country to country. This DOES NOT include cell phone service onboard ship. That is a separate service and I believe it is about $2.99 cents a min. plus connection, but I'm not sure because I've never needed to talk to anyone bad enough to pay that kind of fee while on vacation. If you check with your carrier they can give rates etc. for most services and countrys. Bill

ATT phones will work in Puerto Rico and the American Virgin Islands at no extra charge assuming you have nationwide roaming. You can get international roaming for $4.99 a month.The minute charge will vary from country to country. This DOES NOT include cell phone service onboard ship. That is a separate service and I believe it is about $2.99 cents a min. plus connection, but I'm not sure because I've never needed to talk to anyone bad enough to pay that kind of fee while on vacation. If you check with your carrier they can give rates etc. for most services and countrys. Bill

Verizon and Sprint both list the specific ships they offer service on at a roaming charge of $2.49 per min. Ouch..

I'm on vacation, I don't need to make a call that badly.

Verizon and Sprint both list the specific ships they offer service on at a roaming charge of $2.49 per min. Ouch..

I'm on vacation, I don't need to make a call that badly.

I am told by someone on these ships at a prepaid phone from Verizon and Sprint does work on these ships....As some of you may know a prepaid phone does not get charged extra as its for minutes and they have NO record of who you are.

Here's what it says on Wireless Maritime Services page:

Service Requirements
The WMS mobile network is accessible by most mobile phones, supporting 
both GSM and CDMA technologies. You must have service with one of the 
more than 340 carriers worldwide that have a roaming agreement with 
WMS. [b][u]Some prepaid phone plans by some carriers are not currently [/u][/b]
[b][u]supported. Check with your mobile telephone service provider for details.[/u][/b]

(emphasis added by me)

Cellular at Sea is a joint service by Wireless Maritime Services and Cingular/AT&T.

Archived